What's this that's fallen off my car?

A

ABCDEFG

How do all,

Driving home from work today noticed this loud ratting noise coming from underneath the car. Didn't think too much of it at first and just turned stereo up to drown the noise out.

Then, half mile from home I hear this almighty clang noise like something had fallen off the car and hit the road. Got it on to the drive way and opened the bonnet to check engine was still there :suspect: and it was.

But it was playing on my mind as to what had fallen off so drove back to the main road and noticed cars driving around this: o_O

Few questions for you guys:

1) What is it?

2) What's it for?

3) Is it vitally important? Car needs to last me another two weeks until my new beast is delivered !

Any assistance with this would be greatly appreciated

Regards

Gav

You'll need to upload your picture to somewhere like photobucket or equivalent to use the

Its the heat sheild for your second catalitic (however you spell it) converter, wouldnt worry about it personaly. Just means that theres a chance your run over something like a plastic bag and itll stick to it where its soo hot.

Looks like an exhaust heat shield to me...If so, then its not important, I havn't got any on mine...

James.

Noticed that too!! You gotta give me more than 10 seconds to make amends :laugh:

That looks like some kinda heat shield

Looks possible like one from around the CAT as it's that kinda shape, dunno to be honest with ya.

dont worry bout it mate, it is just a heat shield, not really need it, i work for a nissan franchise and we always take them off if ustomer is complaining of noise from exhaust.

micra man matt

I'd put it back on if you have it really.

They're there for a purpose, when they get removed to fit modified or custom parts, that's different!

But, on a standard car, Mr. Nissan didn't spend millions designing it, to put something on that costs him money to put on every one, that serves no purpose at all.

It serves 2 purposes - 1 that has been mention, to stop you burning stuff that you park over (long grass etc.) and 2, to protect the cat from sudden drops in temperature, say driving through a puddle, but it is pretty muh not needed as the primary cat does most of the converting anyway.

i only put the heat shields back on near the petrol tank, i know its unlikely but i don't wanna die in a firey explosioney death. apart from that they just rattle and annoy people.

Back