What is this thing that fell out of my car?

lewic

Ex. Club Member
I was driving along yesterday and something fell on my foot, making me jump a bit! .. on further inspection it is a small black box (about 10x6x3cm) with a bunch of wires attached to it, and the wires come from behind the dash above the footwell. It looks like the box used to be glued to the left hand side of the fuse box hole, and the glue had come unstuck. I have gaffer taped it up temporarily but am not sure if this thing is supposed to be there or has been put on after-market, perhaps the remnants of an alarm system (apparantly it used to have one). Didnt want to pull to hard on the wires to see where they were coming from in case I disconnected something vital!

there are many boxes in the drivers foot well that do things. could be an after market alarm if it is an unmarked box, but it could be a central locking controller, or an air con controller....

if all the wires comming out of the box are the same cover then it may be an alarm....

really need more info like a pic

has your micra got "central locking"???

has this black box got "glue traces" on it or "two grooves" for sliding something into? if that makes sense?

i think its your central locking box if you have it of course!!!! but i may be wrong without knowing more or pics lol!!!

naps

haha yeh...

thats precisely why I chose to fit my RCL box on the passenger side under the glove box...

does you car have alarm? c/l? air con? check its all working etc.
any pics?

has this black box got "glue traces" on it
Yes it has! No sliding grooves. It looks like it used to be stuck to the left hand side of the fuse box hole, so just gaffered it back there. Managed to gaffer up a few other wires accidentally (kinda tight behind there) so its even harder to tell what is what behind there. Thought I'd better stop pulling when I realised some of the wires were held together with even older gaffer tape, didnt fancy being stranded in Tesco's car park with no ignition! Sounds like its probably an old alarm - it hasnt got central locking or aircon. I did notice a red LED down there, but it doesnt seem to do anything!

Could be the clicker for the indicators or, I believe that the whiner for when you leave the lights on is also located there.

Back