Welding

pork

Club Member
How easy is it to learn how to weld? I can pretty much do anything when shown how to do it a couple of times. Wanna do a few things to my car which would involve welding and don't wanna pay someone else to do it, like making manifolds adapter plates etc.

I can weld alright I guess. I made a steel frame for a computer desk. It's easy enough to learn how... It's just the metal on cars is thin so you can risk making a hole.

I did this on my bike exhaust it needed a new silencer so I attempted to weld it and just melted the silencer :(

Is the kit expensive? I know there us various wards if welding, which one would I need to do the jobs I mentioned?

best thing to do is buy a mig welder get a gas/gasless one to keep costs down and practice with it. dont get an arc welder unless your welding heavy duty stuff. get 2 pieces of steel and try welding them together. keep practicing until you feel you have the hang of it. its not easy by any means you need good penetration and clean metal so get yourself a grinder as well. if you havent got one.

just depends mate you could get a really decent used gas mig for £200-£300 or you could get a brand new gas/gasless one for £140+ so just depends on yourself really mate

Make sure you get one for home use not industrial
I have a Clark mig cost me nothing weldings easy, its like drawing :) I've been doing it for years though

weldings easy but it depends how much your doing to warrent buying the kit, id suggest a MIG set, if it involves bodywork, stay well clear of gasless, i use 0.6mm wire for everything and use proper gas, with a good set like mine, proper gas and thin mire i can lay a continious line of weld on a body panel without 'blowing' through.

but like i say it depends what your welding, ive also got a DC Tig set and i hardly ever use the mig now as the tig is far better at everything i do, i only use the mig now if ive got to just stick 2 bigish pieces of metal together for something

to sum up, get a MIG, spend all you can afford to at least £300 and get a proper mig mix gas in a big bottle.

i,ve got a couple of migs gathering dust in the garage, the wirefeed problems and gas cost/hassle is a pita :suspect:
my DC inverter arc welder get used for everything instead

Think Iv got an idea of where to look now. Like everything, needs a bit if practice. Cheers for the help

Back