Welding

goldstar0011

Ex. Club Member
I fancy learning how to weld and can't find any courses in my area, so gonna read up and practise on some pieces of metal.

Firstly I'm gonna need a welder, but I keep getting different recommendations, the guy who just did some work on my SuperS says Gas but the other guy who worked on SLX used MIG (I think)

Next I need some resources/books etc to help me learn plus anything you guys can advise on.

Cheers people

Gas welding will cost you a lot to get the gear, its more dangerous than all other methods. You realy can't just pick this kind up and go without tuition.

Go for a mig welder, if you are going to be serious about welding then get a mig that has variable current output, rather than just a 'high/low' switch. But You may want to start with a mig that uses gassless wire, otherwise you will be buying CO2 gas (migs use it to stop air contaminating the weld pool) gassless wire has a coating or a core that produces a crust over the weld to stop this.

Arc welders are like migs in there use, but use a stick covered in a flux. They are normaly cheaper than mig but harder to use as the stick is gettting shorter as you use it.

I don't think you should even think of a tig welder. It works in a similar way as gas but uses an electric arc to heat the metal.

Whatever welding gear you go for make sure you get a proper welding helmet, the ones you are given with welders are crap as you need to hold them. When you get good/serious get a helmet that has an elctronic visor here is one

I'd say it's much better to try and find a course somewhere to learn to weld, as it's quite a difficult thing to learn. Most further education colleges have welding courses, maybe give some of them a call.

I learnt MIG, TIG and stick welding at school. I only ever used gas as a heat source, not for welding. There was someone experienced to teach me about it - it's a lot more than just the physical motion of the torch, you need to know about the base metal, filler metal, electrode material, types of gas, current, wire feed, gas flow, flux types, why each type is better than another, electrode polarity etc. It's quite overwhelming.

The other thing with learning somewhere, rather than buying your own, is that you get to use decent equipment. I know there is the saying "a bad workman blames his tools", but it's a right pain trying to learn to weld (especially MIG) with crappy equipment. Ed used to have a cheap SiP MIG welder, and I always used to wind him up about how poor his welding was - until I used the thing and almost smashed it up because I got so angry. Wirefeed was random (slow or really fast, and you had no choice). Current also seemed unpredictable. Gas flow wasn't high to weld even in the slightest breeze. He's got a new one that works now though.

Unless you plan on welding a lot, the machine is a big investment. You are limited to what you can do at home; a normal MIG welder is useless at bodywork, gasless is good outdoors (but expensive to run), TIG is really hard to do, but the only good way to weld ally, gas is most versatile, but hardest to learn and most dangerous.

If you go to a college to learn, they will probably teach you gas and plasma cutting as well. Both are pretty impressive - cutting 1/4" steel plate like butter is very strange.

that helmet thing looks like something our of starship troopers and come to think of it the bloody price is out of this world too. I would love to learn to weld but since im a danger to the environment with a soldering iron in my hand and the fact that i would have to auction off my family to fund it i dont think i will bother. Im sure most colleges and universities would do soem sort of course..

Big_ben said:
that helmet thing looks like something our of starship troopers and come to think of it the bloody price is out of this world too.

Its that expensive because it has a special screen that lets you see through it when you are not welding but as soon as there is an arc from the welder the screen blocks out the flash enough to stop it damaging your eyes, but allows enough light to get through so you can see what your doing. A bit like poloroid sunglasses. Normal welding screens are just like a normal sunglasses (tho be it a lot stronger, don't even think of trying to weld with sunglasses you have been warned!) so you can't see what your doing unless there is a welding arc.

Back