Welding advice

goldstar0011

Ex. Club Member
Am trying to make a "custom" backbox at moment, it's a universal back box but the actual backbox is a good bit longer than standard so having to cut the pipe we're using from the standard back box.

Thing is I've never welded on stainless steel, is it any different to welding other metal as it's not really holding good (other words it breaks off)

My welder was 4 power settings and variable wire speed.

Cheers

Sounds like your not getting enough heat. Ive welded to S/S with normal wire many times, it is not ideal, and wont last as long as using s/s wire but it has (and still is) working.

Stainless is pretty challenging to do with mig. It depends how well you want it done. If you want good welds:
* You need to know the type of steel used in the exhaust - most pipes are 409 but high polish stuff is more commonly one of the 300 series alloys. You need the correct welding wire otherwise you will get problems with corrosion.
* You really need trimix gas... argon/C02 will be ok, but pure argon will give rubbish welds.
* Welding thin wall tubing is pretty hard work.

There are probably wires and gases that will do the job ok though. If you wanted it looking really nice, TIG is the only way though.

What Andrew says is right, but In actual pratice I have never had problems although for lots of reasons its not ideal. I do use a co/argon mix however, Argoshield light I think I have, which is kind of an alround gas, (except doesnt work well at all really with alu)

Ed

Cheers Ed and Andrew

I'm still learning welding and how to use my welder, will check on the power setting.

How do I tell what wire I have on as I bought it with a reel on it.

Buy the haynes book on welding? Probably your best bet to help you upto speed.

that welding i did to rickies REMUS was with normal wire and that Is stainless..... it depends on how well you weld and how much power you use...

what you want is enough to 'pool' the existing stainless pipe...to get a 'true' joint.....not just 'glue' the two parts together...

(i 'dont' know all the welding 'terms' hence the '')

Back