welders

Belly93

to turbo or new lump :/ hmmm
any recommended mig welders ive been tought at college how to use a mig but would like to get myself a mig to practise to improve my welding,
is there any budget migs anyone would suggest?

I've used a Clarke 90 for years but it's only suitable for body work or steel up to 2mm. Anything thicker I use a arc welder.

A lot of people rate the Clarke 135 turbo highly

Hi

I have read on the web that the best of the new mig's in the budget range are Clarke. I am going for a 151TE which is a version of the 150TE with a little more control. It's the feed control thats apparently the deciding factor. Its all third hand info and I cannot vouch for it, but it's what I have found out. The 150TE won a "best of" with Autoexpress, for what that's worth!. I can arc weld no probs, even put a crossmember on with one, but now looking to be able weld thin metal with some sort of cosmetic result. Whatever you get factor in the cost of gas and perhaps getting a C02 bottle and regulator as disposable bottles cost a lot in the long run,

cheers guys have either of you heard how these gas free migs hold up on weld quality? my dad has a mig i might see what his is and look at prices as he doesnt like to use crap for tools lol guess thats from doing a tool making apprenticeship

Guess it all depends on budget really. I dont have a pot to p*ss in but was fortunate enough to win a Sip migmate 130 Turbo in fantastic condition for £43 on Ebay. According to a mig welding forum its a piece of sh*t but once I swapped the plastic wire liner out for a metal liner (well, a length of net curtain wire!) for the princely sum of £1.30 it is transformed. Goes from 25A to 130A and even for a new welder like myself is easy and effective to use. One thing I would recommend is for thin metal, ie bodywork, use argon co2 mix rather than straight co2. And get an auto darkening mask!
IMAG0043.jpg

first EVER welds! :D
IMAG0050.jpg

Rear view showing penetration :D

cheers guys have either of you heard how these gas free migs hold up on weld quality? my dad has a mig i might see what his is and look at prices as he doesnt like to use crap for tools lol guess thats from doing a tool making apprenticeship
From what I recall gasless migs work hotter as they dont have the cooling effect of a shielding gas so aren't as well suited to thin steel such as bodywork. Harder to use too.

I've used both gass and gassless and I prefer gas, it's easier to weld with as you can see the weld pool, with gassless it forums a scab as you weld.

Back