Welder

not sure about Arc welding, but I'll be building a stainles steel manifold and exhaust system with a TIG Welder. As that is what has been recommended for me to use. Bit more expensive than that one, but can be picked up for £250.

Then again, I only have any real welding experience with MIG

Looks interesting. Always wanted to learn how to weld but never had the time or money.

From what I've read about welding though, I thought that ARC welding isn't as strong as MIG welding, as ARC uses electricity and MIG uses gas, so therefore the temperature is higher? Or maybe I'm talking poo.

Might make a cheap alternative to learning how to weld with gas at night school though.....

MIG welding is best one to start learning as it's an all purpose one, started college course on welding today and we're being shown MIG before anything.

mig is the easiest and probably the best to start. Manual metal arc (stick) or tig is prob most difficult but not impossible and gas i think is the most fun but barely used any more as its a bit out of date and not as practical as the other three.

mma is usually used for heavy duty stuff such as agricultural machines etc and is probably the strongest. The difference between mig and tig is pretty much aesthetic as tig gives you a much neater weld, its also easier to weld stainless and ally with although its possible to do this with mig.

if anyones ever gas welded then you can prob tig weld and vica versa because its the same technique just with electricity rather than a naked flame.

alienfish where have you seen these tig welders at that prce as im thinking of buying one?

oh and yeah that aldi one is mma or a stick welder. most poeple regard this as being hardest to master and tbh is not really much use in auto repairs, i know its cheap but you would prob be better of with a mig.

What? Phil if your going to post a random word make it at least make sense. Arc welders are not suited to car work. They are too heavy duty to weld the thin metals used in cars. You would just end up making holes.

no not likely, as I said it will most likely end in holes being made.

a welder like that would be much more suited for fixing/making metal gates etc, or anything with steel which is generally thicker than you would get on a micra!

yeah as ed says its not ideal, it is possible with the ampage turned right down but its very difficult if you havent done it before and isnt ideal for what you want. oh and just for future referance that welder is manual metal arc or stick welding. arc welding can refer to mig, tig and mma but thats besides the point lol

Basically if you want to start welding MIG (or MAG as it is sometimes called) is the best to start with, it's the most versatile of them all, you can choose from a wide range of welders starting at a beginers hobby kit to a full industrial.
I picked up a very decent one off ebay for half the retail price, alot of people buy and use for a few things and sell as it's still cheaper than renting etc

How can MIG (Metal Inert Gas) welding be MAG?

additional: seems MAG does exist, what a strange term. Never heard of it before. Metal Active Gas?! Whats active about an inert gas lolol.

Tutor said stands for Metal Arc Gas as MIG is Metal Inert Gas but CO2 is not an inert/dead gas but because MIG is so known it stuck, Metal Active Gas does seem to be more accurate though. Guess the name you can call it would depend on the gas you use.

Ed said:
What? Phil if your going to post a random word make it at least make sense. Arc welders are not suited to car work. They are too heavy duty to weld the thin metals used in cars. You would just end up making holes.

It was a reply to 59bhp about where to get a TIG from, but I forgot to quote him :p

Alienfish360 said:
It was a reply to 59bhp about where to get a TIG from, but I forgot to quote him :p

Yeah I got that Phil, by Screwfix he meant Screwfix direct, possible one of the cheapest places to get all your bits and bobs.

Back