Weird Paintwork Problem

rlees85

Ex. Club Member
after giving the car a good clean, i noticed its got a load (and i mean loads like all over the bonnett and some other panels) of little specs of what looks like rust.

The problem is i dont think it is rust becuase its also on plastic panels such as the rear bumper.

i would get a picture but the specs are so small the camera doesnt pick them up.

anyone got any ideas of what it is and how to remove it off the top of their head??

cheers!

Why would you want to remove it off the top of your head if its on the car :p !!!

Anyway it probably needs a cut and polish. Be careful however get it wrong and you may ruin the paint.

Ed

cheers ed, already got some rubbing mix on the way becuase i thought id give that a go.

was just after other opinions too as it seems to be affecting the paintwork around the specs slightly (shiny, as if tho its run abit, like it does if it was rust) which worried me abit.

thanks!

use a product called "compund" its a cutting complex will take 1 or 2 microgramms of paint off but make sure you follow the instruction though, its v hard work.
then use paint restoring polish which will help even more.
then id say something like turtle wax (for your specific colour)

should make it nice and shinny

i did this to my faded red k10 and it removed all the fading and bird poop marks etc

it sounds like someone's been grinding or something near the car and the tiny bits of metal has rusted onto the paint and that'd explain the plastic aswell. as ed says just give it a t-cut or similar. should sort it out hopefully.

it sounds like someone's been grinding or something near the car and the tiny bits of metal has rusted onto the paint and that'd explain the plastic aswell. as ed says just give it a t-cut or similar. should sort it out hopefully.

would make sense

thanks for the advice everyone... ill give it ago asap!

i had this occasionally on mine (mostly summer time) and it turned to to be pollen from near by flowers that had dried on to the paint, baffled me for ages. Odd but true :)

cant comment on whats caused your particular problem though.

i only just brought the car so i have no idea :S

i just hope rubbing mix and T-cut gets rid of it or im gna b up poo hill!

cheers anyways :) will post back if it works/etc or if i ever find out wtf it is.

metal grindings seemed very possible though as it is JUST like rust!

edit: never noticed the markings on the car before i brought it as they r tiny (but they r tonnes of them).. if i had of noticed it would have put me off :/

Opps, been away, so I've just seen this one.

Don't what ever you do, use someting like t-cut. t-cut is crap.

You need to clay the car to remove, what I think is "industrial fallout"

yep i used some hardcore rubbing mix (fercela G3) and clayed it after, then cleaned and polished (with turtle wax)... done the trick nicely and came up real shiney :)

T-cut is actually very very good for the price and inteligence required to use it.

But there is better stuff out there. T-cut stays abrasive through the entire process that you are polishing. As you say, inteligence is needed to properly use it. TBH, I wouldn't touch it with a barge poll.

Meguiars Scratch X, does the same job, but it breaks down as you are polishing, so once the "cutting" action is done, you are basically "polishing" with the stuff.

Back