Weird headlight problem

CMF_Tomlenn

» CMF Member
My 1993 K11 has developed a weird problem lately which I couldn’t find here using the forum search.

Since I live in the (now quite cold :) ) Netherlands my K11 is a LHD-model, and the front right headlamp has developed a life of it’s own lately.
Especially when it’s cold it won’t turn on properly, but the lightbulb (I changed it anyway) is fine. When the car becomes warmer after 2 or 3 minutes driving it’ll come on, sometimes after fiddling a bit with the lightswitch, and everything is fine. Sometimes it takes even longer, like 15 minutes, but 2 or 3 minutes is more common. The same goes for permanent high beam (blue ligt on the dash also doesn’t work), signalling high beam always works fine even when cold (also blue light on the dash works). Sidelights are also fine. I already disassembled the lightswitch (left side of steering column which also operates the indicator) but it seems fine.

I also checked the fusebox in front of the battery under the hood but it’s fine, no corrosion anywhere and the fuses are fine.

Now this isn’t a major problem since the light always comes on after a while, but my car has to pass de dutch M.O.T. next month and it’ll probably fail because of this problem. I’d like to fix this myself because it seems to be a quite simple problem which is probably expensive to have fixed by Nissan.

Now since I’m the prowd owner of a Haynes manual I checked the wiring diagrams and it shows the right headlamp (although I’m not sure because I’ve got a LHD model, and the Haynes manual is about a RHD-model) is switched through a dim/dip unit. The signalling high beam is switched directly of the lightswitch and always works so the problem is probably somewhere in this unit. According to http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=4102443 the unit should be somewhere under the steering column but I wasn’t able to locate it, I disassembled the steering column housing and steering wheel but I only found a plug connected to the steering switch and the wires go to the left (remember, LHD model) to the fusebox located to the left of the steering wheel.

Is it possible the dim/dipunit is still on the right side and is not moved in the LHD-model? I’m unable to locate the unit, if I locate it I'll just go to the wrecker's and get a replacement (this is easier than repairing it).

Has anyone here ever come across this problem and solved it some way? I’d like to hear about it!

Thanks in advance

CMF_fred

» CMF Member
yeah this is happening to me... but i just made a parrallel relay circuit from the lhs light. My problem is definately in the switching on the colomn, being a series 2, not many around here, anyway

CMF_daily_ricer

» CMF Member
I have this also, but I believe with me the problem is more likely the wiring at the front right headlight. I will turn the head lights on sometimes and the front right will illuminate the parking lamp only, causing the spotties in the bumper to come on.

I can sometimes correct the problem by flashing the high beams. But most often it involves pulling over and wiggling the connection from the wire to the head lamp.

It only happens for me once a month or so, so by the time I have got home I've forgot about it and don't think of it again until it next happens.

Back