Water fed turbo's

Paul Smith

Site Supporter
Hello,

As alot of turbos are both oil and water fed, I know where to feed the oil in from, but how would you feed water through the turbo if you were fitting one to the cg13 engine?

Thanks

Paul

damn my speciality trurbos and im too late:(
but as above heating is a good place to run them but be aware that water cooling isnt neccessary if you cant be bothered ive seen a few t28s blocked off and run fine, wouldnt do it to mine as i paid for braided water pipes:p

Journal bearing turbos are usually ok non water cooled, even if they have water cooled cores. Standard GT series ball bearing turbos MUST be water cooled.

Turbos are as it happens also my speciality ;)

Journal bearing turbos are usually ok non water cooled, even if they have water cooled cores. Standard GT series ball bearing turbos MUST be water cooled.

Turbos are as it happens also my speciality ;)
thats what i ment im currently on my 5th vodka details are getting away from me at the moment(Y) and yeah i know 5th!! man im slow:eek:

Bit off topic but your fireworks display looked amazing. Sorry I missed it it was a good 2hr drive down.

Great work.(Y)

well actually they dont run fine at all blocked off, oil gets hot and sticks inside the turbo and the bearings get stupidly hot and shortening the life of the bearings.

well actually they dont run fine at all blocked off, oil gets hot and sticks inside the turbo and the bearings get stupidly hot and shortening the life of the bearings.
as ed said, bb turbos should run water cooling but none bb turbos are ok just oil cooled, but a turbo timer will be your friend

welly I would agree if it wasn't for modem day synthetic oils. However since the likes of TURBO TECHNICS developed and supplied turbo systems way back which even they didn't use the water cooling, I would say that they are in a position to know what they are talking about, I even questioned them about it over 10 years ago. Likewise there are plenty of turbos that don't even have water cooling, and run for 100+K miles with no problems at all - my Shogun for example. If what you said was true then it would be that without exception all turbos would have water cooling. (Y)

Water cooling turbo's and Journal bearing turbo's have different size bearings. i completely agree with you on the oil only turbo's lasting 100k miles + many only oil turbo's about now

I was relating about what i would do also, as i may have a T28 coming which is water/oil.

Water cooling turbo's and Journal bearing turbo's have different size bearings. i completely agree with you on the oil only turbo's lasting 100k miles + many only oil turbo's about now

I was relating about what i would do also, as i may have a T28 coming which is water/oil.

i have t28 powered s14 that runs water cooling pipes, but i did run it without for sometime due to the solid water pipe cracking so i knocked up some pipe to leave the turbo alone and saved for braided pipes, but the t28 ran perfectly fine w/o water pipes. and from memory t28s are mostly journal bearings, aside from gt2871r which i think are bb am i correct ed ? My gt30 was bb so i am guessing im right
if you have the time money and parts by all means fit the water lines, if not and its an 200sx stock turbo you should be ok to run oil cooled

Back