Washing the car

F

FatGaz

o_O Was washing my car this morning (at work - but we dont mention that), and my mate asked if it was washing-up liquid that I was using - I replied 'yes' - and he told me that washing-up liquid is bad for the paintwork as it contains salt and can dull the paint! - is this correct? :glance:

well over time plates / cups etc fade after repeated washing so maybe he's right!? however i dont think once will cause any problems

RE: RE: Washing the car

Arnold said:
however i dont think once will cause any problems

problem is i ALWAYS use washing-up liquid! :down:

:blush::blush:Anyone recommend a product for washing the car :blush::blush:

i work in a factory were we make cleanin chemicals, we make washin up liquid and it has got caustic soda pearls in which will eventually get rid off the polish and protectors in the paint. hope that helps..

RE: RE: RE: Washing the car

FatGaz said:
Arnold said:
however i dont think once will cause any problems

problem is i ALWAYS use washing-up liquid! :down:

:blush::blush:Anyone recommend a product for washing the car :blush::blush:

wtf? o_O

Car shampoo - Halfords own brand is fine, about £5 for loads of washes worth of shampoo :)

washing up liquid contains lots of salt, salt=corosion, increasing the chance of you micra going rusty!

The question is what kind of salt is in there, there are more kind of salts in this world. One more nasty for the car than others.
And comparing it to the loads of salt you get on your car in winter time something tells me this can never be that bad for the car...

RaptorRVL said:
The question is what kind of salt is in there, there are more kind of salts in this world. One more nasty for the car than others.
And comparing it to the loads of salt you get on your car in winter time something tells me this can never be that bad for the car...

Road salts for breaking up ice or whatever they do are quite bad for the car apparently. If not washed off, they can cause metal to rust

The term salt in chemistry means a compound made up of a metal and a non-metal element, nut just table salt if anybody cares

Yeah washing up liquid is not recommended due to the strong wax/oil stripping action. Some people use it once a year to strip of wax before polishing their car and is good for this purpose as most car shampoo's contain wax.

i think i use triplewax but its at home so cant say for def but i remember being told by the bloke i bought my car off not to use washing up liquid.
but i have the small problem of a white car in the muck that is the north east, so i have to wash it ALL the time. other wise it ends up looking a total state...:blush:
we need a k11 white smiley by the way, just so i dont feel missed out :(

Back