How to restore the grey plastic trim?

Does any one have any recommendations for how to get the original finish back to the grey plastic on the grille under the bumper on my K11, 2001, 1.0l S.
I've tried Son of A Gun, Armoral Protectant, Soap, Washing Up Liquid and even WD40 in desperation.
Initially it looks as if the product will work, the colour goes back to a uniform mid-grey, but when it dries it fades and becomes very patchy and blotchy, showing up the individual cloth streaks from the cleaning product with whitish bits here and there. It looks gash as hell.
I'm guessing this may be a difficult bit to clean because I've seen many othe Micras with similarly crap looking trim under the bumper. Is it a different kind of plastic to normal? Other plastic parts on the car respond well to the usual products.
Any tips from old timers appreciated.

This is going to sound stupid.
Try peanut butter. I had heard this and tried it on some faded bumper trim on a friends X reg Micra. It works very well.

OK THanks for the ideas. I've got to try the peanut butter , just for the hell of it; crunchy or smooth!?
I'd not thought of spraying it Sed500, thanks for the suggestion.
I'll let you know the results,
Wul

providing there is no traces of any (flamable) cleaning products remaining, running a blowtorch quickly over it brings the plastic back like new... not sure how but it works a treat, i've done it a few times, never had anyproblems as long as u dont leave it on one part for too long :D

It works. I tried peanut butter. Hard work cos I only had crunchy, but grey trim came up like new and finish is lating in spite of rain. Great tip , thanks,
W

It works. I tried peanut butter. Hard work cos I only had crunchy, but grey trim came up like new and finish is lating in spite of rain. Great tip , thanks,
W
wow really? so not only does it make the car look like new again but you get to keep the lovely smell on your car :p
awesome!

Glad you gave the peanut butter a try. I was suprised too.
I have hear of the blow torch method working on Corsa wheel arch trims.

good to know these little tips - the corsa method? i think you have to put the blow torch in the passenger compartment then.....just walk away works better

I've tried the blowtorch method but like everything involving me and a blowtorch, the result was very different to the one I had pictured.

Have had decent results with a heat gun but I find it works better on black rather than grey plastic.

Peanut butter has always worked for me, peanut butter doesn't set things on fire!

Oh, and smooth stuff works best as you don't have to pick the bits off! As I said, battery terminal protector spray works well too and its easier to apply than peanut butter, its just thinned down vaseline. Used some today on a Daihatsu bumper (A 1300 Terios if anyones looking for one! LOL!) and it worked great!
Dunno whether peanut butter or battery terminal protector is cheaper as I nicked the peanut butter from my own kitchen.

Jup i agree with the shoe polish. I saw how it works, although never tried it on my K11. I usually use dashboard spray from Maxbrill. Guess will have to try the shoe polish soon (Y)

Iv bought colour coded spray to do mine but can't see a way to pull the grey trim out of the corner of bumper, don't want to spray outside as its cold and not recommended in cold weather :/

Back