VW Wheels

V

VII

By the way lad's 4 stud VW Wheel's will fit the k10 I was at ATS having a stud replaced, and there was a vw wheel there. I ask the guy if it would fit he tried and it did. WOW mk1 golf GTi wheel for me.

Safety & insurance?

I think the centre bore of a VW is slightly too large 60mm?
The VW wheel goes over, but the studs take all of the load.

Normally with the propper wheel, the centre of the hub 59.1? takes the bulk of the load on the wheel, and the studs keep the wheel pressed tight against the centre of the hub.

I'm supprised the dude at ATS did not explain this.
Also, your 3rd party insurance cover may be void by using them..

Sorry to be a sad old killjoy, but I would get expert advice on this before using the VW sizes.

SammoHung said:
I think the centre bore of a VW is slightly too large 60mm?
The VW wheel goes over, but the studs take all of the load.

Normally with the propper wheel, the centre of the hub 59.1? takes the bulk of the load on the wheel, and the studs keep the wheel pressed tight against the centre of the hub.

I'm supprised the dude at ATS did not explain this.
Also, your 3rd party insurance cover may be void by using them..

Sorry to be a sad old killjoy, but I would get expert advice on this before using the VW sizes.

u could just go down to ur local motor worl and get some spigot rings (as this is what aftermarket wheels use to center and spread the force (just over a tenner i think)

... only if their aftermarket wheels though.

Most factory alloys are machined to fit and don't have old spigiot rings to replace.

VW Golfs as most VWs have a centre bore of 57.1mm iirc, the centre bore should be too small for a micra at 59.1mm, but any decent engineering company should be able to mill them out a couple of millimeters to fit, however, if you are careful you should be able to take it out yourself with a routing bit in a drill.

Spot on Sonic, they fit like a dream when bored out.

Dont know how round you would get it with a routing bit in a drill, best to use a milling machine to take off 1mm all the way around...like you said.

if you mill...how do you set the centre of the mill to the same position of the centre of the wheel.

On the diagram the long dashes show where you want the new hole

the short dashes show where the hole would end up if I drilled it....lol

Attachments

• millling.jpg
    millling.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 217
Secure the Wheel to the bed via the studs, then keep moving the bed until centred using a tool called a "clock".

andrewb150 said:
Secure the Wheel to the bed via the studs, then keep moving the bed until centred using a tool called a "clock".
There you go, I take it that you've had it done then, how much did it set you back ?

sonic said:
There you go, I take it that you've had it done then, how much did it set you back ?
A few beers and some food. Ok if you know the right people.

They said they wouldnt want to do it again though as its a bit fiddley and takes a long time and on expensive rims if you make a mistake your in big troube. Im sure a place that did it every day would have a template/jig that you stick the wheel on, to line it up instantley & just machine away.

Ideally its better if any rims you get have bigger centres as spacers are much easier/quicker/safer to machine.

ye i think they were optional on the old golfs mk2 or 3 not sure which the dont look like much standard but ive got a mate who sprayed his black with a chrome rim n they look real nice now

Back