$$$ Vs. Time Vs. results - on Micra engines

CMF_xsoarerx

» CMF Member
hey guys.

ive been mulling over the ga16de engine converion for a while now and im wondering if its worth the effort to do the conversion or to work the cg13de?

atm. i have advanced timing and fuel reg is pushed right in to pump more fuel & theres some holes in the stock airbox, but apart from that the engines stock and im 80% happy with it in the fuel econ and performance department. but i fell it lacks some more mid range power and is a bit sluggish to build up to speed so ive been thinking...

ga16de with electric water pump, extractors, lightened flywheel or.

cg13de with extractors, cam, intake with pod, advaced timing and tuned.

now i know i can get wrecker ga16de's for pretty darn cheep, cost of the extractors are prob much the same as well as flywheel.

but in terms of effort, fuel econ and over all results what would be more worth it. pull engine for 0.3ltr more + mod plate + elec water pump etc... or tune the 1.3 and get less fuel econ, but require less effort to change?

i prob wont do this conversion this year, but any imput will be much appericated on what to do, ive read info on both ways to go but nothing compairing them dirrctly sooo to speak.

and before you say it... no i do not wanta turbo :p

thanks.
john.

CMF_sportsclassic

» CMF Member
I'd keep the cg13, alot less stuffing around with engine swaps etc..
I am building a cg13 motor at the moment, humphris 773 cams, 10.5 comp, flat top pistons, head work, tried to put bigger valves in the head but no luck.. its been a long process i should have the car running in about 3 months :)

CMF_xero

» CMF Member
what about getting an ADAPTRONIC to get a bit more poke and set of cams?

from my (limited) understanding doing the GA16 coversion is a massive head ****, and not really worth the extra CC's which could be gained from a decent ECU.

hell a nissan daughter board might suffice..

what about a supercharger?

CMF_xsoarerx

» CMF Member
yeah, i didnt want to doo that much stuffing around with the engine... if i did do a cam it would ouly be to take full advantage of some extractors (which i read you need for it to work peoperly)

aim of the car is mainly a "daily" role compaired to my other cars that take 50 ltrs and only does 350kms to fill, i did 360 kms with the micra in the current condition and only put 27ltrs in... win!

and dont get me wrong, i dam well know if i tune it the fuel econ. will drop for sure, but doing crazy cams, high comp, turbo or super charger, is sorta out of the question, just looking for 20% improvment on what i got now... more mid range...

a light flywheel sounds like the trick for the time being, and i can run these flywheel on both engines if in the future i decide to go to the 1.6?

CMF_xero

» CMF Member
a flywheel will be awesome for it. i have a 3.7kg on my AE86 and it ****en hauls (it also has mega comp. ratio, but thats beside the point).
one the most common thing the japanese do with 4age is bolt on the lightest flywheel they can get their hands and leave the engine mostly standard, and they scream after that.

CMF_xsoarerx

» CMF Member
never really bothered with lightned flywheels but then again a 6MGE is not ment to rev :p

whats a good one to purchace or would getting a std. flywheel lighted just be as good as as say a nismo?

CMF_sportsclassic

» CMF Member
xsoarerx WROTE:

"never really bothered with lightned flywheels but then again a 6MGE is not ment to rev :p<BR><BR>whats a good one to purchace or would getting a std. flywheel lighted just be as good as as say a nismo?

will never get the standard flywheel as light as a nismo or Jun one or what ever else ultra light ones there are. I took about 2.5k'gs out of the standard one, i did notice the difference.

CMF_littlebear

» CMF Member
I'd certainly buy a Jun Ultralight. Prob pretty exy atm. Mickey just sold one for $400 which would (have) been a pretty good buy.

Dailyricer and I put one in Charlotte and the difference is ****in great.

yup. nothing wrong with staying n/a imo.. and as a daily that's all you want anyway.. mods that i'd do (or had on the blue car before i started another project with it) would be cams, extractors, mandrel bent 2'', decent pod cai setup, ga15 throttle body and injectors... and off course the ultra light flywheel along with a button clutch (fun) doing all that **** will get you more then enough power for fun and you'll be able to thrash it all day everyday.. even with those mods, you won't need a ecu/piggyback to run safe mixtures.. yes you'll get a bit more out of it but its not neccessary..

CMF_sportsclassic

» CMF Member
turbo march-rolling shell WROTE:

"yup. nothing wrong with staying n/a imo.. and as a daily that's all you want anyway.. mods that i'd do (or had on the blue car before i started another project with it) would be cams, extractors, mandrel bent 2'', decent pod cai setup, ga15 throttle body and injectors... and off course the ultra light flywheel along with a button clutch (fun) doing all that **** will get you more then enough power for fun and you'll be able to thrash it all day everyday.. even with those mods, you won't need a ecu/piggyback to run safe mixtures.. yes you'll get a bit more out of it but its not neccessary..

Yes with all those mods to our rally car we only got an extra 2kw from adjusting the mixtures(with a safc). the mixtures were not that bad anyway.. it gets the **** thrashed out of it and still keeps on going.

CMF_xsoarerx

» CMF Member
thats what i wanted to hear :p

i know theres a couple of N14's at wacol atm (not sure if they have the ga16's tho), they usually sell 4cyl motors for 75 bucks... at that price i could buy two :p

and ive heard of a bloke (auto sparky) who's currently doing the wiring for this same conversion for a guy up here... (anyone know someone doing the conversion in brisbane)

sooo money side of things seams ok... just effort.

CMF_nz_aj

» CMF Member
In reality, how much heavier is the GA16? 15kg?
By the time you've chucked the heavy cast iron exhaust manifold & replaced it with extractors, and moved the battery to the back to make room for a pod filter, and fitted a light flywheel, the weight over the front should be a wash.

Preferably get the newest version of the GA16DE with the large bore plastic MAF, 88kW@6400rpm. http://k11wiki.com/index.php?title=Engine_Swaps#1996-1999_spec
The variable intake cam phasing helps with lower rpm torque & fuel economy.
A standard motor will be reliable and aside from the costs of setting up the swap, it's cheap & it'll be good on gas.
To get the same sort of power from the CG, the cams, injectors & computer work ends up costing plenty of money.

CMF_sportsclassic

» CMF Member
Or you could go with one of these 175hp sr16ve

Attachments

• 44994.jpg
    44994.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 27

CMF_xsoarerx

» CMF Member
haha, not tight budget, just dont want to over do it. the cars pretty much done apart from a few items (interior retrim, mod plates, p/s rack, install fog lights) and the thing that would finish of the car would be a motor with a bit more poke, but still be fine for daily duties. SR16ve is an amazing motor and would love to have it, but for the cost of one i could go two SR20de's which im not keen on doing anyway,

so its just down to either the ga or cg.

ill agree with nz ai, removing the batt, extractors etc... should bring the weight down to what ive got already, but i do have something like -5f deg and -7r camber setting atm... sooo understeer is less of an issue for me :p (the thing even in the wet tracks really well around corners... epic)

Back