Almera MAF vs Micra MAF on ITB's

Okay so with the bike throttle bodies, the car would only run with the MAF disconnected. This was more because the MAF was just drilled and mounted into the airbox. Now we have plugged the hole we drilled in the airbox, and used a 100mm to 76mm sillicon reducer to connect the airbox to the almera MAF housing, and put the MAF in there,

The MAF being in its own housing seems to do the trick! The wiring for the MAF needed extending - only one wire needed extending, the others could just be pulled back from the loom.

But the problem is - the ECU has been set up by Tornado Systems to run the Almera MAF . But the car doesnt run well with the Almera MAF (with the temp sensor from the Micra MAF transferred over). There is power loss as if the engine is suffocating, across all rpm's and the exhaust pops now and then. After a short drive, I connected the fault code reader and got cylinder 3 and 4 misfires. I retried with another Almera MAF - this time with one that didn't have the temp sensor transferred over. The car completely refused to run properly.

Running the same setup yet again for the 3rd time but this time with the Micra MAF (in the Almera MAF housing) makes all the issues go away! So its most likely that the first Almera MAF is just faulty and the second one doesn't work since there's no temp sensor on it.

So I guess my question is - is there much disadvantage to running with the Micra MAF? Been told by some that I could be maxing the Micra MAF out and need the bigger Almera MAF. Tornado Systems seem to think it makes a massive difference. I just can't be asked paying another £50 (£25 for an Almera MAF and another £25 for a Micra MAF for the temp sensor to transfer over to the Almera MAF).

Any advice would be massively appreciated!

What engine was the Almera MAF from?

yes it was brought to my attention about 30 min ago through Facebook that I am using the wrong Almera MAF - I am using the 2.2 diesel Almera MAF and I need to be using the 1.5/1.6/1.8 petrol Almera MAF. The housings look exactly the same but got confused with the part numbers!

I am considering ordering the correct Almera MAF. But again it comes to - will it even make much of a difference?

I need to be using the 1.5/1.6/1.8 petrol Almera MAF. The housings look exactly the same but got confused with the part numbers!

I am considering ordering the correct Almera MAF. But again it comes to - will it even make much of a difference?
Well I've got a GA15 throttle body on mine, we looked but couldn't find much to configure it in nistune, after some comparison we worked out it looks identical to the hotwire sensor in the cg13 throttle body, then used the cg13 config for the dyno tune, emissions test and the last 2 or 3 years with no problem. There's been debate whether there's any point in going to the larger throttle bodies in any case as the flow measurements using a larger TB max out before full throttle so that would suggest the MAF is also capable at those flows.

Last edited:
yes it was brought to my attention about 30 min ago through Facebook that I am using the wrong Almera MAF - I am using the 2.2 diesel Almera MAF and I need to be using the 1.5/1.6/1.8 petrol Almera MAF. The housings look exactly the same but got confused with the part numbers!

looks like you solved the problem on your own

I'm unsure how much difference it would make I'd be inclined to trust tornado systems since they will have experience and for most people it's not a mod they would have done most people tend to stick to the same mods, you could probably sell the old ones on ebay to recoup some of your costs

Is your timing adjustable with this ecu? try to stay on top of checking it as it can be affected by how the car is idling at the time and if you're getting pops and misfires regularly it could be throwing it out, also base idle etc

looks like you solved the problem on your own

I'm unsure how much difference it would make I'd be inclined to trust tornado systems since they will have experience and for most people it's not a mod they would have done most people tend to stick to the same mods, you could probably sell the old ones on ebay to recoup some of your costs

Is your timing adjustable with this ecu? try to stay on top of checking it as it can be affected by how the car is idling at the time and if you're getting pops and misfires regularly it could be throwing it out, also base idle etc

Yes I'll go with what tornado systems are advising. Facebook wasn't much help with everyone telling me to go standalone ECU when I specifically said I don't want to go standalone as its out of my budget. Besides I am very happy with how its running on the Micra MAF, but will listen to tornado and get the (correct!) almera MAF :)

I have no abilities to tweak the ECU timing as its the stock one just mapped by Tornado, so I don't have the facility to check and adjust its timing :/

Back