micra vs polo comparisson

ok i prob shouldnt be asking this on a micra forum BUT....

my 1994 k11 is getting a rattling timing chain much like my old vibe did. its done 84k and i think its got a while left before it dies but the noise irritates me it just gets worse and worse over time.

there for i am looking at other cars etc in preperation. ive always quite fancied a polo (around the same sort of spec as the k11 so i guess ranging from 1994-2002 or something like that).

just wanted some people to chip in with a few facts and pointers.

like miles per gallon comparison.
price
insurance
top speed and acceleration.

value for money etc etc etc

ive always thought the polo was better looking and maybe give me a bit more credibility as people really underate the micras!

i have just gone the other way around :D my polo was a 1L 8v, 50bhp. terrible on the motorway, screaming at any speed over 60 very uneconomical unless your pootling about town at 20-30mph. i swapped the gearbox for one from a 1.4 polo, this mate my daily commute much more friendly on the ears and wallet, 30 mile round trip a day, doing about £20 a week in fuel. i now have a 1L micra, its much quicker than the polo (hard to belive i know) its a much better quality ride than the polo. but it does use more fuel than the polo, same amount of miles a week and im doing more like £25 - £30 a week, this is mainly because it is a quicker car and its fun to boot it about a bit, so the extra consumption some weeks is down to, too much fun on my part, but driven conservativly its still £5 worse a week than the polo. Insurance wise it dropped about £40 switching from the polo to the micra.

top speed, polo struggled to do anything over 90 (private farm drive obv) but it was a 1L but whats the point in speeding anyway. micra also out accelerates the polo 1L and 1.4L ones.

Polos are over priced for the same year vehicle from other manufacturers, mainly because the VW "scene" makes it so, better off sticking to bying one from the local free ads, or some little old lady, ones that dont command scene tax from emo types.

polos also suffer with their own common problems, gearboxes are made from peanut brittle, throttle body probs are common, but dont let mayo in the oil filler cap put you off, they have a very badly designed crank breather system and they condensate in the cam cover causing the dreaded mayo on the oil cap symptom of a blown headgasket, but it rarely is. they are easily cleaned out, and after a good forte flush and oil change things will be better. short journeys also cause this. electric window regs also fragile.

They also rust, sills are bad for this, wheel arches, and the seam under the tail lights.

the upside, parts are cheap, a second hand engine around 50k miles will set you back £60 at my place, gearboxes demand more because they go so ofter, looking at £120 for a good one

cheap to modify also, coilovers can be had for £140

i got rid of mine because they are so damn common amongst boy racer types, Edition38 show last years saw circa 40 clones of my car in the same colour and footware (allthough mine was the only one sporting a fully working 6n2 dash conversion :p ) moved onto a micra to do something diferent, and micras also look cool with the proper tweaks :D

HTH

*lots of words*

Listen to this man. He's pretty much bang on.

It's also important to stress how damn common Polos are in terms of tuning, if that's your thing. Go to any shows and all the Polos are exactly the same. Low, on little wheels. Only things that vary are the rim styles and base colours. I personally quite like the Polo, but the huge following of sheep all doing exactly the same thing is a massive turn off for me.

Brothers just sold his, gearbox ajar itself, mare had one gearbox ajar itself, I know of about 6 others they are terrible.

Back