Vista

Arnold

www.alanarnold.co.uk
Site Supporter
I know we've had threads about Vista before, but curious to know if people have switched over yet. I attempted to fix a machine earlier with Vista on and what a nightmare experience it is.

Undocked the laptop and connected a LAN cable into the back. Simple eh... well, Vista didn't recognise the cable being plugged in! Something so simple yet annoyingly doesn't work. It was still in it's 'docked' profile when undocked, and had to be restarted to clear.. and the machine takes 20 mins to boot up on Vista...

The machine is only 6 months old, and can't get any drivers for it. Billions around for XP for the same machine & hardware though.

I'm definitely sticking with Xp. I can't see how people are switching over and not experiencing any problems. There's just no support for it!

its called "making money by building in mistakes"
they got it right with 98 and then messed it up.

but they continue to make money out of programs to fix it. and selling upgrades etc etc.

its criminal. but who else you gonna go to?

I've been using Vista on my home PC since January 2007 and since May 2007 on my work PC. My parents now run a Vista PC and my uncle runs a Vista laptop. None of them have run into any problems, I don't know why people have such an issue.

XP drivers work fine with Vista Arnold, just use those. I still maintain it's people complaining for the sake of it.

frank said:
vista is so buggy, there bringing out a new version apparently
First off, where's the proof that it's more "buggy" than the initial release of XP? There's nothing like the Blaster and Sasser worms that exploited the RPC call in XP and XP SP1, now THAT is a bug.

And also, I don't see a new version being released any time soon, the next version of Windows, codenamed "7" (due to 4.x being 9x, 5.0 being 2000, 5.1 being XP and 6.0 being Vista), isn't due until Q3-4 of 2009.
It's more likely a service pack will be issued, and in fact Service Pack 1 currently has a release candidate out and is due to be released along with Windows Server 2008.

XP drivers work fine with Vista Arnold, just use those. I still maintain it's people complaining for the sake of it.

lmao. Well they obviously don't work fine as the modem in this instance isn't working! It has XP drivers (don't work) and Vista ones aren't available. The diagnostic / communication utilities also don't work under Vista, and crash when you try using the compatibility mode.

Can you explain why the machine is locked in a docked state when undocked?

Alot of people complain about vista as they don't like change! but i merely rant because it's .... horse manure

I can't as I don't use a docking station or other hardware profiles for my computer lol.

It's not Vista 64-bit is it?

Im having a right problem with vista hardly anything works with it, I wont go into details but its crap my cousin (who is a software developer) tried to put it back to XP to no avail Vista has something on it to stop you.

If you copy all your files to another hard drive and format the drive I can't see how Vista could stop you installing it, there's nowhere in the hard drive it can hide, the boot sector and MBR can be erased with a format too I think.

or theres a piece of software called wipedrive, its brillent does what it says on the tin lol

works in dos too so has no problems wiping the drive of every thing

Sata Drives shouldn't make any difference. It's SCSI. You sometimes need to press a particular F key during the setup process to choose a SCSI driver.

Just wack the XP disk in and boot from it. The installation process will format the drive before it copies files. The CD however wont have all the necessary drivers to run all your computers devices, modem, graphics etc, unless it's a recovery disk. You'l need to get these from the manufactures website.

I've found most onboard SATA controllers are supported out of the box, but it's possible you may have to press F6

i had this problem with a laptop. Turned off native sata mode in the BIOS and it worked.

plus i thought drivers were only needed with a RAID controller and setup? Never had to install drivers for a sata controller under installation process

Bought a laptop, Toshiba P200-1ED with vista and im not "just complaining for the sake of it", it has slowed the laptop down, comes with a load of crud and to be fair dosn't support the games and software i wish to run at the moment.

Installing xp, as for near enough every toshiba p200-1ed user lol

While I still can, I'm going to say Hahahahaha! from the keyboard of my MacBook.

I fix hardware for a living and the only thing I have windows on is my company laptop which runs XP-pro. I gave up with MS OS's and the constant calls of "Why is it doing this" from friends and family! Bliss....

:p Been using a Mac Mini for the past few days and I must admit i'm not overly impressed! It doesn't seem as intuative in places, why should I drag an icon into the Applications folder to install it? Why can't i just click "install"?

It's slick, and easy for a computer novice to use i'll give you that, but I like my power tools. I know OSX has a shell environment but if you want a shell environment install a *nix OS!

The new version of ANY OS always has bugs. It's like the first version of any game, car, or anything else.

Just wait for the new version to come out and I'm sure most of the bugs'll be ironed out!

I'm running XP with SP3 on my main home pc, but my Dell laptop has Vista Premium on it.

Not had any problems with it since I got it back in May, runs nicely on 2GB of ram :)

I'm going to order an Asus Eee soon though, which has a nice custom Linux install!

Yep, waiting for the newer ~8inch version which is due to be released in the spring, along with more storage for less £££ :)

There is currently a 4 week wait for the current 4GB model anyway, so I can wait another couple of months for a new one...

Im with james on this, Im sure people are just complaining for the sake of it.

My vista laptop works 100% fine, and ive found some xp drivers work fine

vistas slow, never tells you what its doing (just a stupid green bar that keeps going across on most dialogs) and there is still not enough support for it...

not complaining for the fun of it. its true. XP gives u a lot more control and when you know a thing or two about PCs its always nice to have... plus xp is alot quicker, given my PC is slow, but even on a fast PC this is true.

Each to their own anyway. Some people like apple macs LOL

its called windows black comb, then wiondows vienna, now windows 7

about vista, it has been proven that it slows down your computer, you have to wonder where your pc is going with all those fancy graphics.

alot of things are not compatible with vista, including applications and drivers (drivers because they are not fully optimized with vista)
to be honest, you would best off going with XP, its such a stable operating system, it has all the functions of vista and if you really want fancy graphics, you can update the theme.
although coming from a computer programming student (lol), your best bet if you want a stable computer with full functionality and compatibility, stick with xp

In my line of work though I need to keep up to date anyway, I do PC support for businesses and web design so being on Vista is partly down to that, but I like it.

The PC is specced out to cope though, 4GB RAM, X2 5600+, Radeon X1550 so maybe i'm not experiencing the "typical slowdowns" lol

I hate Vista for the time being...Its too slow and buggy. I will wait to see if a service pack is released before I attempt to use it again.

XP is by far the best at the moment. Every OS MS have brought out so far is crap until a service pack gets released. 98 was the same but when 98SE came out it was rock solid :)

Oh I know where things are ok...My Mum and GF have it and I am forever sorting their problems out (not always due to Vista though).

I also hate it when Vista keeps blocking you and asking to confirm if you want to run a program etc...Its buddy anoying!

I had Vista on my computer for 3 months and it never ran as quick as my XP and it crashed alot more too.

I've had my Vista laptop for about an hour, just uninstalling all the crap that comes installed with it.

If you go into control panel, user settings, and turn off user control, it stops those annoying pop ups

new service pack has been bought out for both, its proven that xp's new "sp3" is twice as fast as vista with "sp1" installed

the proof has been done :p

And older operating systems will be faster than newer ones. Windows 2000 is faster than XP.

That doesn't mean jack!!! Newer OS, means Newer PCs with better performance, Vista is here to stay.

LIVE WITH IT!!!

vista is being scrapped, because of the incompatibility, un-reliability e.t.c
effectively, windows 2000 is the best operating system overall, but because there is only a margin difference between 200 and xp, most people opt for xp-

vista is being scrapped, because of the incompatibility, un-reliability e.t.c

19.bs.jpg

They wont scrap it, but they know it's not successful. I wouldnt be surprised if the next windows is on the cards already, with probably more compatibility with existing drivers (XP), with some of the Vista changes

They wont scrap it, but they know it's not successful. I wouldnt be surprised if the next windows is on the cards already, with probably more compatibility with existing drivers (XP), with some of the Vista changes
There is, it's codenamed Seven. But Longhorn was in development when XP was released
Microsoft began work on Windows Vista, known at the time by its codename "Longhorn" in May 2001, five months prior to the release of Windows XP.
You can't turn these things out overnight you know! :p

james

yes but after 6/7 years and zillions of dollars, its a bit of a poor show
you need a 500w pooter to run the damn thing properly

The PC i'm using at the moment handles it fine and is only a 300w PSU hehe

I'm all for linux as a server (I manage a few of them) but they just aren't ready for public consumption!

Back