manual gearbox..problems

CMF_evade

» CMF Member
Hi!

My gearbox is starting to make some seriously bad grinding noises..in any gear..even when you just start it and its in neutral.

Grinding goes away when clutch is put in..

Wondering what I should do..

1. Anyone know what a gearbox is worth? Bosito was supposed to sell one to me for 100 bucks! NOOO

2. Rebuild approx costs?

3. Yes I thrash the crap out of it. I'll attempt to be gentle to the next one.

4. I wish I bought that hardcore drivetrain now.

5. I'm tempted to go spend another 5k and start beating LS1s and XR6Ts. (Then they go get an exhaust or some **** and beat you back anyway..)

6. Damn.

I kinda expected this was going to happen someday..

DAMN GEARBOX. Maybe I should get a VLSD one installed ala Cisco style.

CMF_fred

» CMF Member
had xactly the same problem, found to be the input drive bearing..... cost me about $340 to get the $30 bearing replaced....but I did drive with the noise for about 30000 km
the retainer and 3 balls where missing......

cisco

» CMF Member
Who wants to drive around with a dog box? really? Its a novelty for a while, but after that..

CMF_NotAnotherSSS

» CMF Member
I think you're thinking about the half-dog gearbox types cisco.

About the only annoying with a PAR half-dog gearset is the gear whine - which usually isnt a major problem when you have an exhaust and you're not on the highway. Usually they retain the standard 5th gear so its nice and quiet on the highway.

I can vouch for the quality of the work of this place too. SR20DET boys here in Aus. and in the USA have put +280fwkW through them without any hassle...

http://www.par-engineering.com/

Have a look at their website. Really cool (and expensive) stuff...

cisco

» CMF Member
PAR made the forged conrods in my engine.

Yeah I was thinking about a full dog box.

CMF_Sean

» CMF Member
Oi Aaron

Dude my gearbox makes exactly the same noise. Don't fret though its just the thrust bearing in the clutch giving way. When you depress the pedal it takes the load off the bearing, thats why it goes away when the clutch is in. Your gearbox will probably still be fine for a while.

But if you're at it, post up what you do because my gearbox isn't going to last very long at all (i drive exactly like you)

Sean

CMF_evade

» CMF Member
although i dont think so actually..usually in the morning it sounds its worst..the thrust bearing there doesnt actually run through thegearbox oil so im thinking its more internally screwed..

it grinds way more in 1st gear than any others as well..

synchro's maybe? you can really hear it as its going into gear

cisco

» CMF Member
Tony,

My conrods were made by PAR to the specs that my engine builder wanted. I.e. 2mm shorter rods, 2mm taller piston crowns. So PAR made up the template for this design. After that, PAR now have the template to make as many sets as they want more quickly. I think Errol's bottom end are the PAR rods and SPS pistons both same as mine. But Errol gets them ceramic coated now, mine didn't have that.

CMF_White Knight

» CMF Member
Correct Cisco. Errol organised mine but he got the rods from PAR and the pistons from SPS as you had made it easy for the rest of us as they had already made yours!! but as you said I had my pistons ceramic coated.
Errol did something to the rods when he got em from PAR but cannot remember what.

CMF_nz_aj

» CMF Member
Rothery N14 pulsar puts 300fwkW through the standard RS5F32V, i.e 10s quarters & a hard life. Some "special" gearset apparently handling 280fwkW is hardly impressive.

RS5F31V should be fine for anything the CG13 will ever throw at it.

Can't see the sense in spending $$$ on gearsets when there's a standard gearset/gearbox easily available. RS5F30A is the wrong box for turbo.

Back