gearbox help

CMF_lam.666

» CMF Member
hi micranites

just looking for some assistance, just installed my gearbox, have not filled it with oil nor fitted the driveshafts/cvs yet.

went to turn the car on, because the motor and the starter motor should work without any gearbox oil... im assuming... but the car wont start, when i go to turn the key i get one audible *click* which sounds like the starter motor is either stuck / not engaging with the flywheel / flywheel is stuck / or not on properly...

i think that the car is in neutral, even if it was in gear, with no driveshafts no wheels car should still start...

is there a special way to fit on the gearbox, or should it just slip in with no trouble and start...

if anyone has a picture they can up of the workshop or haynes manual it would be appreciated.

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
Dont try and turn the motor over with no gearbox oil. Very quick way to make the input shaft bearings whine and eventually fail prematurely.

An audible click however sounds more electrical. Check your electrical system (all connections and fuses), grounding around the engine bay and gearbox (nissan's grounding in the k11 sucks anyway so you may as well sand everything and make sure the big ground wire is in good condition, replace it if it looks dodgey) and connections to the starter motor.

Goodluck but get some fluid in the damn gearbox before you go starting it please.

CMF_Bushido

» CMF Member
I just finished fitting my gear box this afternoon, replaced the clutch assembly. everytime I reassemble and go to start it dosent start up on the first go. I get a one click and then nothing. second time I turn the keep I get a click and it fires up a few seconds after. I dont know if the startermotor needs time to build up a charge?
doube check all your wiring, positioner switch, grounds etc...
This time the gearbox slide in with alot less hassle than the last time. got lucky! 3rd time doing it and everytime it gets faster.The exhaust manifold, and the rad fan are both out, so makes abit more space.

CMF_lam.666

» CMF Member
thanks for the pics bushido

thanks for the tips yom

first time doing this and i dont have any help from anyone, is a learning experience that im enjoying though...

havent replaced the clutch, so hopefully there shouldnt be any misalignment

will be picking up some vmx80 and fitting the cvs in

hopefully it'll start

CMF_nz_aj

» CMF Member
Struggling to understand how misalignment smashed the centre of that clutch plate.
By misalignment, do you mean you didn't bother to check the plate was anywhere near centred & then you've slammed the box onto the motor/clutch?

In regards to cars not starting, has this been a auto to manual swap & the start inhibitor from the auto trans hasn't been bypassed?

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
nz_aj WROTE:

"Struggling to understand how misalignment smashed the centre of that clutch plate.

By misalignment, do you mean you didn't bother to check the plate was anywhere near centred & then you've slammed the box onto the motor/clutch?
Yeh I think thats more a manufacturing defect than not aligning the plate properly. The gearbox simply won't go on if the clutch plate is not aligned correctly (at least i thought so anyway).

VMX80 is the oil castrol recommend but nissan recommends a heavier weight (75w90 for australia). Use the VMX80 to slosh around the gearbox for a bit and pick up any extra crap in there, drop it out in 3000km time and stick a quality synthetic in there. You won't regret it.

Might want to replace the driveshaft seals too. Mine were OK for a CV change but since the last time I pulled them out for a clutch change the drivers side has started leaking.

CMF_Bushido

» CMF Member
nz_aj WROTE:

"Struggling to understand how misalignment smashed the centre of that clutch plate.<BR>
By misalignment, do you mean you didn't bother to check the plate was anywhere near centred &amp; then you've slammed the box onto the motor/clutch?<BR>

The clutch was new, aligned by eye box was fitted with minimal struggle. 3 weeks of it running fine, start hearing grinding noises, gears not engaging. pulled the box to find that a piece of the clutch was lodged between flywheel and disc.
Nissan were 100% sure it was caused by "misalignment" refused to blame it on a defected producted.
anyway I replaced the flywheel, clutch/plate. and fitted it yesterday.

CMF_nz_aj

» CMF Member
Assuming the dowells between the motor & box flanges are not missing, the flywheel was running true, there is no way that could have happened.
Once the clutch pedal has been depressed, the clutch plate is floating on the gearbox input shaft.
Time to speak to the manager (restraining from treats of shoving the clutch up his nethers)

Hope the new flywheel is lighter?

CMF_lam.666

» CMF Member
well gearbox is fitted and alls good

only problem is a sound that was there before i removed the gearbox is still there

jacked up the car and put it in gear but no noise, only happens when theres load and only happens just as i move

sounds as though something is grinding but its got me stumped to what it is...

think its time to take it to someone but i cant trust any mechanics...

thats why i do everything myself, more fun this way anyways

CMF_lam.666

» CMF Member
cant be the gearbox tho, as the noise was present before i put this one in

im thinking might be cvs or the brakes hubs and bearings...

if i tighten the 23mm nut that holds cvs in place, too tight would it make this noise?

i've never noticed it before when i changed the cv's over tho

need to get on someones dyno or something that rolls and test it to see where the sounds coming from

CMF_nz_aj

» CMF Member
That 23mm nut should be tight, if it's loose you might get a noise.
You've checked the condition of the brake pads & wheel bearings I guess while you had it jacked off the ground?
For CV's to be making a noise in a straight line, they'd be making an even more noticeable noise when turning under load.

CMF_lam.666

» CMF Member
doesnt sound like a rattle, i'll suss it out this weekend

pads and rotors are fine, dont know how to check wheel bearings..
drove it again today and im thinking it might be the clutch...

see how i go on the weekend

CMF_LWC

» CMF Member
obviously not the 23mm nuts if it was making the noise before you undid them, assuming they were tight before. tightening them won't make a difference.

could be the first gear bearing is noisy, mine is making such a noise, like teeth meshing but a little "grindy" due to excessive wear. has your 2nd gearbox been reco'ed?

Back