Vibrations on stick in 3rd gear

When I go above around 2000 rpm in 3rd gear, I can feel (but not see) steady vibrations on the stick. They don't appear in the other gears. Also, when I let go of the throttle in 3rd, the stick visibly moves towards the back of the car a little. I can feel but not see that in other gears too.

I had the vibrations from the start when I bought it new. I'm not sure about the movement, though. I've had a K14 as a rental once for two weeks, and it didn't have the vibrations, nor did I notice the stick moving on load change.

That's not really common for a new car, is it? I mean, I will have it checked soon anyway, just want to be prepared if they say it's "within normal".

Are you just feeling the vibration through the gearstick only or can you feel it in the whole car?

The gearstick movement I would imagine is normal. Mine does the same mainly in second and third when going on and off the power which is just the movements in the gearbox transmitting through the cable.

Although when mine was new I did have an issue with gear cables vibrating against the car body but that gave a heavy knock especially when turning the car off and reversing.

Are you just feeling the vibration through the gearstick only or can you feel it in the whole car?

Only thru the stick and only when in 3rd, and a tiny bit in 4th maybe.

The gearstick movement I would imagine is normal. Mine does the same mainly in second and third when going on and off the power which is just the movements in the gearbox transmitting through the cable.

Yeah, I imagined this would be the reason, but I didn't think this was normal with new cars.

I had it checked and they - what a surprise - said it was nothing unusual. As I said: The rental I once had didn't do it, neither did a rental a friend of mine had, and neither did the demo car I drove. It's nothing extreme, but it's so apparent to me that it's not like I just didn't notice it in the other cars.

I had been a Fiat driver for a long time, and I find the issues we have with our Juke and Micra are - though not really severe - completely ridiculous.

Back