Gear stick now moving freely

CMF_krnage

» CMF Member
So hoped into my k11 this morning to head into work and noticed how loose the gear stick was.

I can select 1st/2nd with a bit of movement but moving over to 3rd/4th is where its completely loose and I can rotate the whole gear stick around in a circular motion or whatever way I wanted.

I have a short shifter in there currently, so wanted to get some ideas on what it could be, since I left it at home and took the train in.

I'll try get onto it tonight to see whats broke but some ideas so I can start part hunting would be great

Cheers

CMF_plattsy

» CMF Member
Gear shifter not centering
Symptoms

Manual gear stick doesn't spring back into the centre either from the left or from the right.
Solution

It is reasonably common for the gear-stick lever return spring to break. You will need to access this from underneath the car. There is also exhaust heat-shielding in the way that you will need to remove. Remove the broken spring (which should be dangling by the end that didn't break). You can easily bend it with some pliers so that you make a new hook on the broken end, then re-install the repaired spring where it came from. Get someone in the car to move the gear stick around so you work out which direction it needs to spring back in order to work - that will also help you determine the location of the tiny hole that the spring is meant to hook into.

there you go mate.

CMF_asdame

» CMF Member
if the gear selector bushes are really worn loose, causing difficulty engaging 1st/2nd and rattling in 5th, they need replacing/upgrading.

also check if the gearstick balljoint housing bolts are loose. mine had once came loose, stick was soo vague I couldn't select any gears.

CMF_krnage

» CMF Member
yeah im hoping its a spring, so will try and check it tonight and see what we have.

ill report back what i find when i do get onto it as its my daily so id rather get it working then catch PT

CMF_krnage

» CMF Member
ok, took a look under, spring is fine. pulled bottom bolts out, pulled up the metal plate on the inside and think it could be the plastic surround holding the gear stick ball in place, but dont really know what it should look like.

anyone got pics of what factory looks like? I'm guessing I'll push it down into the rubber surround...............

only markings short shifter has is violence power heavy weapon

edit:

ok so where the gear stick goes into the plastic ball surround and into the chasis of the car where the linkage joins (and spring) its like im missing a clip to hold the plastic ball surround in place, or theres a trick to trying to push the gear stick into it without pulling it all the way out. hope im making sense

CMF_krnage

» CMF Member
update: all fixed up after doing it slowly and putting the pivot cup in the right way. testing to make sure all is ok, small bit of play like a mm but thats ok. keep testing by putting it into gear and neutral then...........I pull the gear stick out completely. ball joint still buttoned in, just the stick itself has cleanly snapped off.

so now I need a complete gear stick!

CMF_AB-NRML

» CMF Member
I had one of those generic, cheap ebay short shifters but the throw was reduced to less than half and you'd have to smash it into gear quite firmly. Also you could need to hammer a recess into your exhaust heat shield to that tho bottom of the shifter and linkage doesn't foul on it. Those ones on ebay for just over $100 with the blue anodized bit are excellent. They raise the pivot point with a ptfe bushing which puts the linkage arm at the same level as original, smooth as silk shifting and a 35% shorter throw so you don't have to slam it into gear.
I made one short shifter, bought 2 from ebay and finally got my current one from a forum member. This one I have like I described above is a pleasure to use every day. The others were a pita to use daily.

CMF_krnage

» CMF Member

CMF_AB-NRML

» CMF Member
Either of those, they look exactly like the one I have.
Probably all made by the same company.
I think the short shifter shifts as sooth as if not better than the stock one.
You shouldn't pay too much for one from wreckers but I think either of those shifters would be a better buy if you're able to have your car off the road while you wait for ebay.

CMF_krnage

» CMF Member
went to a local wrecker and they want $70-80 so I passed on that and will order one of the blue anodized ones (i think the US seller is the cheapest of I've $65 delivered which is cheaper than a second hand stock stick from the wrecker

Back