valve shims..

B14KLR

Ex. Club Member
just built my engine ,started off sweet but seems we have developed a lil tapping! sounds like valve clearances but i'll take the rocker cover off tomorrow just to be sure. just wondering if anyone had some knocking about...

also in need of boot seal and reverse switch!
ta

last time i brought 14 shims from dealer for £83.24 (£5.95 each)

i have some spare shims. post up ur valve clearances and i'll see if i have any that fits

i have a few, post up what sizes you need.

meausre them all, you might get most of what you need my juggling them about.

the difference is with mine its got the piper cams. i carried out the 'ol Frank special and used 2 sets of shims, 1 either side od the bucket.
maybe i done something wrong, think i need you help again mr Frank!
i ground the under shims on bench grinder one at a time, and before engine started the were all in spec.
tapping got progressively works but seems to have climaxed.
maybe the bench grinder was too coarse and left deep ridged which got flattenend therefore creating a gap?
ive just measured 1 (the engines still rather hot!-i'll do the rest shortly) and have got .60mm on the inlet!! if there most like that that could be the tapping.

whats the best way to re-shim this all up now without costing me 3 million pounds?

thanks in advance,Tom

did you shamfer/bevel the outer edge of the inner shim tom ? (the shims catch the radius inside the bucket else, and they dont contact with the pimple/boss that runs against the valvestem :eek: )

whoops :eek:
that crossed my mind when i was putting them in the buckets but i thought 'nah it'll be ok!' ah well, new shet of shims for me please then! i supposed its a good job that none of them have snapped in half...or maybe they have and thats why its rattling away!thanks again pal

yes that,ll be the cause tom :doh: i found it easier to grind the shim to nearly enough then just shave a tad from the middle only, freehand (for the fine tuning)
but thats where the autosprint regrinds are handy tho eh (he takes off 2.5mm, so that a stock size inner shim brings your clearances back to spec)

i dont suppose you know the figure for the amount taken off by the piper ones? they must be regrinds as the lobes are smaller than standard...once i get the new motor i'll be able to take this off the road for a day or two and have a fettle..

Back