vacum pipe

RTLkyuubi

Ex. Club Member
Theres a vacum pipe that goes to the vacum advance retard, inlet manifold carb and then a switch thing inside the air box. When i press the 'switch' my k10 idles so much better, maybe a tad high but alot better.

Because the pipe goes to the vacum advance / retard mech on the dizzy im thinking that my timing might be out and blocking the vacum is altering the timing to what its supposed to be on idle. Can anyone verify this?

:k10:

*needpics*

Ill get some in a bit to make it easier to understand what im on about

Ryan.

Umm, dont quite follow. But set your timing, and when you do it take off the vacuum tube and block the hole. That'll set your timing more accurately at idle.

When i take my vacume pipe off it idles really bad.. its nothing to do with your timing. see my thread on rough idle see if it helps.

If I'm on the right lines: Then the switch is an idle compensator valve. Its a bimetal strip with a bright orange blob on one end. This is designed to be closed normally and open very slightly if the temp under the hood gets pretty hot (usually hot countries)

If you're 'pressing' the switch down and the idle improves then I would say that the part is either dammaged or faulty.....as under normal curcumstances, pressing it down should do nothing (should allready be closed).

If this is the case then you could do with a replacement.

Just to back up what sammo was saying, yeah it should be closed and pressing it should make no difference.... I have one of them parts spare if you want it for a few quid? (you might need to register to let me sell you it though?)

I looked at 1 at college as we have a k10 in our workshop and thats the same, theres a little gap. But i guess that broke aswell, theres that many tards who have took mechanics :B

Courior if you wack it on ebay and give me the item number :)

Ryan.

Back