MA10 vacuum pipe help please.

I've recently purchased a GSX Auto which has MA10 engine It was running lumpy and I soon realised that the usual vacuum pipes had perished. Unfortunately to the point that they were no longer connected. One I see connects from underneath the air filter to a T piece then onto the advance thing but I am unsure where the other one that comes from the carb goes? Any advice would be great.

i cant 100% remember the plumbing unfortunately, but iirc the pipes originate from the back of the inlet manifold

Yeah there is a T piece that comes from the inlet manifold that is the one the connects from the air filter to the advance. The pipe coming directly from the carb is only about 10 inches long but cannot find anywhere for it to plumb into. Someone said this one adjusts the mixture, but I have no idea!

On the back of the mani is a Y piece, single-r/h/s goes to vacuum advance, l/h/s where there are 2 pipes, one goes to carburettor and the other to underside of air filter pan. Hope this helps, can put pics up if you like ;)

Ahh on the T piece l/h/s I only have one pipe connected that goes to the underside of the filter pan! So the one that I've got hanging loose from the carb also connects to the T piece l/h/s as well?!

Are those normally connect via another T piece? And what is the result of the carb one not being connected? As I've noticed it's not returning a great mpg (well less than expected) it seems to be running at around 35mpg at the mo.

Are those normally connect via another T piece? And what is the result of the carb one not being connected? As I've noticed it's not returning a great mpg (well less than expected) it seems to be running at around 35mpg at the mo.
Not sure I understand tbh. Are you not able to reconnect vac pipe from carb to Y piece on rear of mani? Is this cos the connecting rubber has gone? I replaced all my vac hoses with silicone so it just pushed onto all connections. Dont know what the result of running without that vac line is tbh but I have blanked off the one that goes to the bleed valve in the filter pan and its fine.

On the l/h/s of the inlet T piece I only have room for one pipe, but I have two pipes that need a home, the filter pan one is connected so wondering if the filter pan and carb one need joining together before joining the inlet T piece. It's hard to explain lol

Here you can see how my vac pipes connect on inlet mani............
IMAG0235_zpscc1c3ba2.jpg

It defo seems I'm missing that Y bit! It must have dropped off because the pipes were so far gone when I brought the car. Thank you so much for your help.

Aah, that explains it then. What I would do is to connect the carb vac hose to the available fitting instead of the filter pan hose. The filter pan hose just goes to a bimetal bleed valve that is to bleed air into the inlet in high temperature conditions. I have disconnected mine and blanked it off with a small bolt in the end of the hose. Glad to be of help :)

Back