Using Jack Stands and Adaptors

CMF_zipper

» CMF Member
Hello! This is my first post, we just purchased a 95 Micra two weeks ago and love it!

We are looking at doing a lot of our own work on the Micra, and have purchased hydrolic jack and axle stands. The Haynes manual recommends to place the axle stands in the slotted sill area where the scissor jack normally goes, but recommends an axle stand adapter with a slot in it to prevent the sill from bending. I don't seem to be able to find any adapters anywhere and am wondering if anyone knows where to get adapters or if there is somewhere else that the axle stands can be safely placed (mainly in the front, as it looks like they could be easily placed on the axles in the back). Thanks a lot! :)

CMF_LX97

» CMF Member
I think the problem is the Haynes manual.
The stands will not sit at the exact jacking point as depicted in the Haynes manual as there is the lip of metal. Try sitting the stands just inside the lip and place some type of protection on the stands like rubber matting or carpet to protect the painted surface. Maybe make an adaptor to fit onto your stands to allow you to use them at the correct jacking points.
Paul.

CMF_asdame

» CMF Member
i jack the front end via where the back of the front wishbone is mounted to the chassis.

Then place the axle stands on the chassis rail just behind the mount.

Then do the other side to equalize the stress cos i don't like leaving the chassis being twisted for long periods.

Attachments

• 47337.jpg
    47337.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 37

CMF_asdame

» CMF Member
i tried jacking the car from the front crossmember before but i don't recommend it cos it eventually caused the front crossmember to slowly buckle under the load, pushing the radiator and hood latch up.

CMF_asdame

» CMF Member
when I'm jacking the rear and leaving the rear suspension intact, simply jack from the middle of the rear beam axle and place the axle stands under either side of the round beam, making sure i misses the rear sway bar.

Attachments

• 47339.jpg
    47339.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 41

CMF_asdame

» CMF Member
when jacking the rear involves unloading the rear suspension (working on rear suspension or fuel tank), I jack from the middle of the rear axle beam, place some cusion on the axle stands and carefully position em just in front of the lower trailing arm mount point.

double checking they're in the right place whilst lowering the jack to make sure it won't damage the chassis. once chassis is resting on the stands, i lower the jack to unload the rear suspension.

Attachments

• 47340.jpg
    47340.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 32

CMF_asdame

» CMF Member
when i rotate my tyres around, i jack up the front, put on stands then jack up the rear axle, put on stands.

risky: yes. just dont knock against the car or do it on a windy day or else a wheel-less micra's gona come crashing down with a couple axle stand marks dented into the chassis underside

Attachments

• 47341.jpg
    47341.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 28

CMF_xsoarerx

» CMF Member
humm... just throwing it out there...

a few cinder blocks. put the car on the sil all round.

never have a prob.

thats what i do in 5mins flat with all wheels off... easy.

CMF_zipper

» CMF Member
Thank you for all your suggestions and pictures! Next time I go under I'll have a safer and easier time finding somewhere to place the stands where I don't have to worry about breaking the car or my face ;)

Thanks so much again for your taking the time replying and helping out a car-repair noob! :)

CMF_m-hayes

» CMF Member
whatn I did was get a couple of pieces of wood just wide enough to fit the top of the axle stand, about 3 to 4 inches long and 2 to 3 inches thick. Along the length shape so it fits the bottom off the sill. Sounds posher than it is. Mine is just 2 saw cuts like a flat v. Across the bottom of the v cut a slot the width and depth off the web under the sill. As if by magic you now have an adaptor to sit on top of your axle stand!

You need to make sure your piece of is thick enough the weight off the car doesn't split the "adaptor" at the slot.

I would not use cinder blocks or bricks as they have peen known to collapse. Good for building walls, rubbish as axle stands.

CMF_m-hayes

» CMF Member
I've never had a problem with them slipping. But as a matter of course whenever I put a car on axle stands I give ait a good shove before going under it, just in case.

My axle stands are not flat on top, they have quite a deep flat bottomed U shape if you see what I mean, similar to asdame's photos. The wooden adapter fits in the U running across the car with the slot for the seam on teh sill running across it. So when teh car is on teh stand it can't move far in either diretcrion. With the weight of the car on it I can't se it going far anyway.

Back