URGENT! Info required.......

I've had a brake warning light come up on the dash this morning but the car feels the same, ie - it still stops like it should etc.

Thoughts please.......

low brake fluid due either to excessively worn brake pads/shoes and/or hydraulic leak.

basically first check all your brake pads/shoes have sufficient material thickness within spec, if close to Min then replace with new thicker ones. always check the reservoir doesn't overflow when pushing the piston inwards.

then check there's no signs of hydraulic leakage throughout the braking system such as master cylinder, caliper piston seal, drum brake piston.

if brakes materials are within spec and there's no leak, just top up the reservoir within the min/max

What a utter star you are and what a utter pratt I am :D

Brake fluid was on minimum :oops:. Only on Friday did I ckeck 'all' my fluids like oil and water and never even thought about hydraulic's. So a quick top-up and all is well. My brake pads will need replacing in the not too distant future but there is no sign of any leaks.

Thank you.

ur welcome.

assuming that when all the pads, shoes, disc, drums were previous new/thick that the reservoir began at Max and there's been no fluid leak/loss - as brake material thickness gets worn thinner, more fluid is required to push the pistons further in over time therefore the reservoir level gets lower.

once the level reaches Low and triggers the low fluid sensor/light it's a useful hint at telling you that ur pads/shoes might be getting thin.

generally if pad material is still within spec and there's no leaks and the fluid level is above Min, I'd usually just leave it alone and not top up, allowing it to work as I mentioned the paragraph above.

Back