Urgent help needed

R

Ryza

Hi all,

my first post here and to be honest.....one i would rather not be typing...

i have a nissan micra 1.2 s (53) plate......well last week the engine management light came on and has not went off.......so took it to nissan dealer who told me that it was the timing chain had stretched and needed a new tensioner........

this needless to say is going to cost 900+ pounds to replace.....on a car that has only done 26000 mls from new......surely this cannot be right.....

could this be something else???
is there anyway of getting the light to go out???

your help would be greatly appreciated.....as this has left me with a sour taste in my mouth and once fixed i think the car will be going....

Cheers

Ryza

unfortunatly this is not unheard of, Nissan will charge alot to fix it out of warrenty.

i suppose you could always attempt it yourself or aquire the parts and have another garage fit them to avoid high abour charges from nissan.

A lot of people have experienced the management light problem, and it seems only the dealer can fix this. but once you done that take your car elsewhere for the repair work, you will save yourself a nice sum. you could possibly source your own part if you find out from the people who deals with your car what is at fault. there is a good chance to shave at least half of the £900 quoted.

dont worry its not the end of the world, i am sure you can get through this.

timing chain or belt or whatever is a problem with a lot of modern cars and most dealers recommend a change of this at 30k intervals. so even if you go and get yourself another car you will be hit with the same problem as well.

i had an brand new alfa 147, all nice and stuff but when the belt snapped at 26k it cost £1000 no matter where i went.

Personally I wouldn't trust them. At least take it to a second garage and see what thay say, because K12's have a habit of making the engine warning light come on even when there is nothing wrong.

thanx all......

is there no way of resetting the light just to see if it comes back on....the car is drivung the way it was b4....no noises whatsoever.....

i've heard that sensors can trigger the light even by getting a little bit wet...

Ryza

resetting the light is a dealer job, after that take your car to a local trusty garage to see if the belt is alright and go from there.

Back