Uprated Wishbone Bushes

Well the ones I had to replace weren't bent, they cracked.
On the back of that crescent shape where the front bush is joined... it cracked there. Didn't get too far but that was only a 60/70mph impact (it'd help if I saw the rock :p)
Right there mate??
Capture.JPG

If you look to the right on the edge you can see a blue area, you could dp a gentle reshape to increase the rad at the red point and reduce it at the blue point to equalise the stress a fraction?

Errm you can bent a wishbone on a raf base, i have the evidence and had to change it. Suze was driving this time, caught a kerb and bent the osf wishbone.

Bent it back enough with jacks in the wheel arch to drive it home.

I now seam weld the wishbones before fitting them. But would rather bend an arm than the shell.....

You can get a lower front strut brace which picks up the wishbone mounts, and i have added additional welded in braces there too.

Errm you can bent a wishbone on a raf base, i have the evidence and had to change it. Suze was driving this time, caught a kerb and bent the osf wishbone.
A kerb is an everyday thing not specific to raf bases. So that ruled out tarmac rallies are fairly tame for wishbones

You know seam welding them makes them prone to snapping over bending. 1 inch stitch welds and reinforcements top and bottom is better. That's what I was always taught

Its not uncommon to see a rally car on a jig for straightening em out because of the stresses and strains. Lower bracing isn't uncommon knowledge :)

Bent it back enough with jacks in the wheel arch to drive it home.

I now seam weld the wishbones before fitting them. But would rather bend an arm than the shell.....

You can get a lower front strut brace which picks up the wishbone mounts, and i have added additional welded in braces there too.
any chance you still have the bent one? would pay good money for it (well, postage at least ;) )

Just to keep this updated and hopefully prevent too much misinformation being spread around...

I was pretty unhappy with the results of the previous forced displacement test, (my hand calcs said it should fail around 9KN). So I have been investigating the problem. It turns out that the load cell used was entered into the computer as a 50KN but is infact a 500KN, meaning the result was a factor of 10 out.

So the true yield load was around 13KN :) 1300KG equivalent.

I will be running more tests tomorrow to get more data so will keep this thread updated in case anyone is interested :)

The results of both tests do show a consistant 6.2mm of longitudinal deflextion at 4KN (about max braking force). Some analysis would be needed to see what difference that would make to suspension geometry (Ill leave that to you guys for now).

That's a fair whack of toe out generated, be made worse with soft bushes too, definately be needing stiffer bushes with uprated brakes :eek:

Was looking at wishbones on ebay as my bushes are gone, will be wanting poly ones just waiting for funds. Anyway look at the description of this ebay wishbone, thinks it describes what you call size A and size B, depends on the Wheel size??

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NISSAN-MI...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item23316d9af5
Thank for that : )
Yeah, i checked excel's catalogue (the people who seem to make most of the wishbones), the wheel size is to do with the ball joint size : )

Keep us updated Ed
Any chance if testing with bush changes? So there's no soft rubber absorbing the force
The rubber doesnt absorb the force as such, but it does allow much more deflection. it would be nice to see load/deflection without bushes but I think iv been kicked off the tensile machine now :( I will see what I can do.

It was on my old site, which i had forgotten. Took me ages to find the pics, but did in the end.
THANK YOU!

BTW it was went further back than that, that's how bent it was whilst i drove it home (no trailers for us!). It took a lot of force, using jacks in the wheel arch, and large hammers and quite a few people in service to get it to that positions where i could get her home.

I'm still after a set of these Noddie but funds don't permit it atm sadly! But on the subject of wishebones, I'm fitting a lower front brace soon, does anybody know the size of the front lower arm bolts? As I'll probably need longer one?

Unsure on which size as its not fitted to a car if I sent you a pic do you think you woukd be able to tell?

Thought I would update this with the latest data:

I did a test with strain gauges fitted,
the results graph and gauge placement. Gauge 2 (green) failed during the test but it would have been similar to gauge 5 (pink).

graph (Small).JPG

strain gauge placement (Small) (2).jpg

Back