update on my install

CMF_Ghetto Micra

» CMF Member
Well, last I recall I'd just managed to fit 3 speakers into each micra door, do some sound deadening, and re-make the door trims out of MDF.

this weekend I finally trimmed the door panels! far out you say! it's only taken him around a YEAR. hahaha who knows.

I only have three poor pics off my mobile, during the trimming stages..

I will get a final good qual pic today after work! :)

this first pic is the MDF Panel with the 1/2" foam adhered. Foam was used under the vinyl so the plastic door lugs dont screw the finish :)

Attachments

• 1880.jpg
    1880.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 27

CMF_Ghetto Micra

» CMF Member
and this pic shows where it was all done, garage floor, on a tarp. the adhesive is 3M extra strong contact, or something like that, it's got a great temp rating for high heat applications (cars get hot, dont want trim falling off!) about $33 a CAN!

Attachments

• 1881.jpg
    1881.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 30

CMF_Ghetto Micra

» CMF Member
here's the panel with the dress side down. you can see the MDF board, the plastic lugs that affix the panel to the car door..

foam is already adhered... just got the vinyl adhered, and about to "wrap" the excess over and onto the back of the MDF for a nice finish....

Will send a few "final" pics later today!! (still need to make speaker grills though, you'll see...

Attachments

• 1882.jpg
    1882.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 24

CMF_Ghetto Micra

» CMF Member
note the "V" cut's in the corners of the vinyl, this is to get it to affix neatly to the MDF without leaving crease mark's on the "dress" (or show) side..... if you look at your factory door trims, they are probably done this way too :)

CMF_Alex_B

» CMF Member
thx for the refresher on your setup ghetto,

...btw did you design the setup yourself? i did my own home theater, and it turned out unreal, and was thinking of designing my car setup, you don't know the volume of the doors do you? by designing i mean your own x-overs and modelling it on computer. gee now i think of it, i did my setup soo long ago i can't even remember what i used. lol, i seem to remember the words winisd or lsp, and speaker workshop. meh, but on my ht setup i used a series crosover (have the excel file here somewhere) vifa drivers/tweeters and got enourmous bass along with superb mid and high. hardly need the sub, the full 5 speakers going easily rattle the windows in certain movie battle scenes > was hoping to achieve the same on the car :D, as i like my boot space,

anyway, nuff rambling from me,

Alex

CMF_NotAnotherSSS

» CMF Member
Alex - I'm not sure on it, but I don't think your program would work in a car.

A home theatre system is a controlled environment. The car isnt a controlled environment. Things change in the car, such with window/sunroof open, the doors are possibly of different resonate frequencies... i could probably list on if i tried. :p

I think the best way to set a car audio system up is to listen to setups which are already done and then form your own from there. Trail and error kind of thing I suppose.

In the end, its just a car too - there isnt any need for a home theatre-quality sound system! Besides - they slow you down!!!!

Cheers, ThoughtfulTom

CMF_Ghetto Micra

» CMF Member
Alex, as you would know, a car is certainly not an ideal place for any kind of audio... we just 'make it happen'.

calculating door volumes is a waste of time, esp if your putting more than one driver in there... (drivers sharing the same space).. most car speakers are designed to work in doors, free air.

I sealed my doors with mdf, silicon, gaffa tape, and sound deadening (flashtac) i dont know where my previous thread on this went too (dissapeared)

there's some more pics here:
http://gallery.cybix.com.au/thumbnails.php?album=50
but unfortunately none of the sound deadening I did.

I have the three way x-overs under the drivers seat (there's a pic in the link above)...

I'm running the speakes off Soundstream Class A amplifiers, the sound is outstanding.

wait until you see my small sub box, with two 6" rockford fosgate punch power woofers in it.. haha, cute!

more coming soon

CMF_Ghetto Micra

» CMF Member
I wanted it to look as "factory" as possible. I'm the last person that wants flashy looking interior bits. the rest of my interior is grey (except steering wheel and gear knob) so I guess stick with it :)

Other news.. I just bought a new Alpine cd/tuner and iPod interface for the N15 pulsar, so the N15's Alpine gear is going to go into the micra.

N15 gets:
Alpine CDA-9847 ai-net (ipod read)
Alpine KCA-420i (iPod interface) !

K11 gets:
Alpine CTA-1502 (digital commander)
Alpine CHA-S602 (6-disc ai-net changer)

K11 looses:
Clarion DRX-9255 audiophile cd-tuner.
While I love this unit, I'd prefer a unit with a cd-changer. I'm sick of having to change the CD every day in this unit! So the Alpine changer will be a blessing.

the iPod interface for the Alpine unit is awesome... plug in the ipod, and "//ALPINE" comes up on the ipod's screen. put it in the glovebox or centre console, then control the ipod from the actual Alpine head unit... very clever.. searches by genre, artist, album, song, just like on the ipod... Should be great :)

Also re-doing the rest of the micra install. because i've removed the rear seats (and trim) I'm soon to be making a "cargo" tray type thing... will integrate the amplifiers in somehow...

Have also trimmed and made aluminium bits for my mini-micra subwoofer box, I'll get some pics up :)

coming along nicely

CMF_meatball

» CMF Member
looking nice, I've not been on these forums in ages, and was having a look, and remembered your 'work in progress', looks like i've not missed much! I miss my micra, and am thinking about getting another, and doing what I can with it, it was such a fun car! liked it more than the pug I got just now! :(

Back