under drive pulleys

CMF_gu_niang1200

» CMF Member
i had the under drive pulleys all machine to aluminium from water pump to alternator and the main crank pulley.... been using them for 2 years.. but for now... funny sounds seems coming from my engine...it sounds like some bearing hissling sound....was wondering if it was from the under drive pulleys cAUSING DAMAGE TO ANY OF MY engine bearings.. any guys can comment?

its been known to happen on the rb26, when the balancer is replaced by either a non damper type, or one which is alot lighter it can put extra load on the crank/bearings/oil pump drive gear (and damage/break) because of the unbalanced weight/more vibrations.

CMF_gu_niang1200

» CMF Member
but i have seen the 1.0 crank pully.. it doesn't have any damping effect.. and its lighter compared to the 1.3 crank pulley.. i'm getting funny sounds for now.. just thinking if it really affects ...

CMF_sportsclassic

» CMF Member
gu_niang1200 WROTE:

"but i have seen the 1.0 crank pully.. it doesn't have any damping effect.. and its lighter compared to the 1.3 crank pulley.. i'm getting funny sounds for now.. just thinking if it really affects ...<BR>

If the 1.0 has a solid pulley obviously they don't need any dampening, if the 1.3 didn't need a damper it wouldn't have one just like the 1.0. The dampers are there for a reason, to dampen crankshaft harmonics, many of these aftermarket solid pulleys are crap and are known to snap crankshafts, i have seen rb engines and evo 4g63 motor do that, not very nice.. Wrx subaru's (ej20) can run a solid underdrive pulley because the crankshafts are short and don't suffer from large harmonics such as the rb engines as they are a six cylinder inline. As mickeybbb said, get a mechanic to have a look..

Back