tyre wear oddity

had my tyres changed today, the old falkens on the front were getting low but they were badly worn on the inside edge. Now, i really would have thought it was the tracking, but the last time i had the rear tyres changed it had a full tracking adjustment even though they said it wasnt far out to start with. Today they (different garage) checked it and they said it was dead straight, so he had a proper tug at the wheel and said there is no movement anywhere in the suspension bushes so he was a bit stumped. He had another look at the old tyres and realising they were Falkens he said 'thats your problem, soft as'
Now i can understand a soft tyre wearing quickly, but with the inside edge wearing so much more than the rest of the tyre is it worth me looking further before i butcher my new Nexens (nice tyre BTW) or is it something that other micra ownwers have noticed when using a soft tyre? I dont doubt what he said, he certainly knew his cars, im just trying to explore all options before i find myself shelling out for more tyres.

I would say that they were adjusted incorrectly by the first garage.
I had mine done once and was not happy with them, took them to another garage and it took them nearly an hour to track them and balance them.
They found out that their tracking machine needed adjusting as well as my tracking and balancing.
Once they had sorted it all out you could tell the difference immediately.

When i had the tyres fitted on friday they checked the tracking and said it was spot on, they didnt touch it. Then the rears were fitted 8 months ago it was adjusted using proper Carlos Fandango lazer 4 wheel alignment, It drove perfectly when it was done back then, and drives perfectly since having the tyres fitted on friday. for the last month or so it felt like the tracking was out but i put it down to the tyre wear in the inside edge, im convinced the tracking is fine, its just strange that the tyres wear the way they do. All keep an eye on the tyres this time and see how it goes, MOT is soon so they might find something amiss. As it is now it drives in a dead straight line, doesnt lurch about when it goes over a minor fault in the road (like it did before the tyers were changed) And doesnt give me any reason to thing theres anything wrong, dispite having nothing done but have the tyres fitted. Its actualy really nice to drive at the moment. Still feeling the love for Micras:)

its both, and they were both about the same each side, and only on the inside edge. It was noticable, there was still decent amount of tread on the rest of the tyre, 4 or 5 mm, and the rest of the wear on the tyre was quite even. Wish if taken a pic before they went but theyre gone now.

Speed Humps Damage Tyres Inner Edges!

Tyre wear oddity answer is much simpler then wheel alignment operators and their equipment creating a gravy train of additional work and excess profits for them. Inner edge tyre wear is the visible tip of the iceberg of serious internal tyre wall structural damage due to speed humps. Do your own research to get the data based on long established facts avoiding anecdote.

Quote:

Can speed bumps wear out the inside of tyres if you straddle them?”

Honest John fired back: “That is exactly how speed cushions destroy the inner shoulders of car tyres. Always drive with one wheel over the centre of the cushion and one on the flat. You feel the bump, of course, but you don’t suffer hidden tyre damage that could cause a serious accident.”

In the past Honest John has written: “All types of road humps not only create potentially fatal damage to vehicles, they also cause tremors that damage the sub-structure of the roads from the continual pounding of vehicles over them (hence pot holes around road humps), and these tremors can also damage adjacent buildings. It’s time that crooked council officials who gave the job of installing these damaging obstructions to favoured contractors were held accountable.”

Quote: “They directly cause deaths of cyclists and motorcyclists. The mean-minded, utterly stupid Labour government brought them in. Borrowed government money funded them. Councillors, council officials and favoured contractors made fortunes out of installing them, despite local opposition. The result is damage to property, severe damage to vehicles, and deaths. But lots of profit for the contractors that installed the humps and a never ending profits gravy train for the motor trade repairing the damage caused”.

Heads they win, big business vested interests, tails the consumer loses. Enough said.

References:

1) http://www.etyres.co.uk/news/tyre-wrecking-speed-bumps-give-honest-john-the-hump-15283.html

2) https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/askhj/answer/66969/do-speed-humps-cause-tyre-damage-

3) https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/askhj/...s-damage-the-insides-of-my-ford-fiesta-s-tyre

4) https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/askhj/...ng-unusual-wear-and-damage-to-my-audi-a6-s-ty

5) https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=T...=firefox-b&sa=N&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&ve

that could explain it, it really could thanks, there are afew on my way to work, looks like i'll be taking a detour now and see if it helps.

Went outside today to find a flat tyre. Screw in it. Went back indoors.

that could explain it, it really could thanks, there are afew on my way to work, looks like i'll be taking a detour now and see if it helps.

Went outside today to find a flat tyre. Screw in it. Went back indoors.

No need to take a detour to avoid them, just drive over them the way professional drivers do to avoid speed hump damage as follows.

Always drive very slowly with one wheel over the centre of the cushion and one on the flat. You feel the bump, of course, but you don’t suffer hidden tyre damage that could cause a serious accident.”

ok this is getting silly now. The tyre that got the screw in it yesterday was one of the 8 month old tyres. Ive just been out side and found that one of the NEW tyres has got a screw in it. Luckily i had a couple of steels with good tyres on so i put one on for now. In the rain. Absolutly steaming!

Back