Two Part Question - Part One

I'm in the process of installing DLS component speakers in my Super. Because I'm bypassing the factory wiring, I pulled the HU (Sony) to get an idea on how to connect the new DLS wiring from the crossover to the back of the unit and I'm not sure how to go about it. I've got an ISO adaptor now and installing the HU was pretty straight forward using the original door speaker wiring but new speaker wiring presents something of a problem. How have some of you made the connection(s) when you used new speaker wiring?

I don't want to cut any of the factory wiring and, apart from connecting each wire individually, the only solution I can come up with is to either source a factory speaker connector from the scrapyard and splice the speaker wires into that, or cut the speaker wires on the ISO and splice them there.

I've done a search and couldn't find a post that raised this particular problem before. I hope I am not missing something really obvious. Embarrasing if I am but as I obviously need to get this sorted out, I'll risk asking the question.

S

Attachments

• IMG0001.jpg
    IMG0001.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 221
  • IMG0001_1.jpg
    IMG0001_1.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 264
  • IMG_0451.JPG
    IMG_0451.JPG
    797.7 KB · Views: 253
  • IMG_0441.JPG
    IMG_0441.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 290
Ok then, cut the speaker wires on the adaptor and solder and shrink wrap the new speaker wire to the cut ends of the plug wires. Shouldn't be a problem but you have to wonder why, with components being touted as the best way to go, there isn't some sort of kit to simplify the process.

Thanks all for your comments.

S

Soixantaine said:
Ok then, cut the speaker wires on the adaptor and solder and shrink wrap the new speaker wire to the cut ends of the plug wires. Shouldn't be a problem but you have to wonder why, with components being touted as the best way to go, there isn't some sort of kit to simplify the process.

Thanks all for your comments.

S

I'm not saying it's the best way to do it, but it's a way that does work if done properly. I had no choice 2 do it in mine, as the previous owner had already done it, and I didn't like the HU!!!

Seems as though the best way to do it would be to get a speaker plug from a scrapyard, the brown one in the photo, rather than cut the adaptor wires.
Problem, however, would be getting a plug wired up for rear speakers - which I would like to keep (against all recommendations). Only one Micra left at the scrapyard I've been going to.

S

Attachments

• IMG0001_1.jpg
    IMG0001_1.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 216
  • IMG0001.jpg
    IMG0001.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 239
to kep the existing rear wires simply cut and join the front wires and let the iso adaptor work its magic on the rears!

as to why there is no ready made kit for this....
how long u want the wires, what guage, what colour the list is endless, and you would still have to route the wires, which is by far the most difficult part of the job!!

Same plug and speaker wires as the complete adaptor has only clipped off with male or female spade terminal ends?

Had to order extra wire anyway as DLS didn't give me nearly enough with the speakers.

Agree about running the wires. I got as far as the body grommet in the door jamb and ran into a foam insulator or something. Might try soldering a lenght of wire to a piece of coat hanger and having a (gentle) poke to see if I can get it through. Will probably have to remove the blower motor on the passenger's side so I can get my hand up in there.

Thanks.

S

the wires you need are the 2 pairs in the middle of the speaker block, just snip them off at the end that goes into the CAR wiring, NOT at the headunit end...

The standard ISO plug speaker wiring. (connections viewed from cable side of connector)
TAB
Right Rear(1) Right Front(1) Left Front(1) Left Rear(1)
Right Rear(2) Right Front(2) Left Front(2) Left Rear(2)

There should be no need to pull the blower motor, if you remove the trim panels you can get to the wires, just done this job on a K11 myself, I found it fairly easy to be honest....

if ya need any more advice just yell

Thanks Parrot Chap. I've got which wire is which sorted out and have ordered 16 guage cable from CAD. As soon as it arrives I'll see if I can get it set up. But, just out of curiosity, why not use the factory wiring with the better speakers? It seems pretty lean compared with the DLS wire, or 16 guage but is sound quality impaired that much by using, say, 18 and smaller guage?

S

you are very welcome.

As for your query about wire guage..

Just make sure you join them wires properly with (Idealy) solder and heatshrink, good crimps at a push but not by twisting together and wrapping in selotape, you may laugh, I have seen it done!

some will say it makes no difference....
others will swear they can hear the difference when using oxygen free...(I cant but my hearing is shot anyway)......
yet others will try to convince you that the wires are directional...
and some will say that speaker cable needs running in!!

Thats the thing about audio, so many folks trying to sell you snake oil (thinks power capacitors)

me, I say yes, I am sure it can make a difference based on Ohms law alone, but either way by routing thicker cable now, if you ever decide to amp up the fronts the jobs half done already.

At the end of the day, If it sounds how YOU want it thats great :)

Back