Tracing Oil Leak.

CMF_Jon (2)

» CMF Member
Hey Mychael,
Could be either of those, pretty common to go. Just below the rocker cover is an upper timing chain cover which is sealed by gasket goo usually. I fixed mine easily by making a new gasket out of the hi-temp silicone (the red stuff)
As for the harmonic balancer oil seal, thats an easy fix. Remove the drivers side wheel and then also the inner plastic guard liner - this will expose the harmonic balancer. Trying to crack that can be a pain, I used a rattle gun. Remove that and you'll see the seal. Fit a new one and presto!
I had to fix both of those at the same time not that long ago.

Stick your head under and you can usually spot where its coming from, or trace it.

Could also be a lose oil filter thats dropping oil onto your driveshaft and flicking up.

Gimme a yell if you need a hand.

smidge

» CMF Member
jon thats the easiest explanation i've heard for the harmonic balancer leaking

thats a front main seal you're talking about, right?

CMF_Doom

» CMF Member
Hi guys,

I have just noticed that mine is leaking behind the harmonic balancer.. Bit of a wet splatter around the place from it and the plastic inner guard is wet too..
I am suppost to be going on a 4 hour trip over the weekend in it, is this something that might let go compleately while I am away? Or is it more than likely to just drip away?

(What I want to know is it a bit risky, or should it be fine to fix once I get back?)

Please reply asap with your advice.

Cheers!!

(NSM - please give me a price on a new seal mate)

CMF_Doom

» CMF Member
Thanks guys...
Yea this is in the SLX that 620racer & I just finished converting from CVT. Neither of us noticed it whilst under the car, however after the car was finished i degreased the engine bay and gave it a high pressure rinse afterwards.. Im thinking that it might have loosened and old crud that had stopped the leak or something.

Fingers crossed that it will be fine on my trip, and I will have to get onto it once I return.

CMF_chanwilson01

» CMF Member
Hi guys..

My Micra has started leaking oil for a few weeks, but I was having my final exam so didn't have time to fix it..

Exam has finished now and I had a look today and I think it should be the harmonic balance oil seal.. went online to the Parts Guide on supercheap's web site but I'm not sure which seal I'm look for.. I'm guessing it's the Crankshaft Front Seal but there are two of them..

Any suggestions??

Wilson

Attachments

• 55355.jpg
    55355.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 28

CMF_chanwilson01

» CMF Member
chanwilson01 WROTE:

"I'll call Nissan tomorrow and try to get the price, just don't think the genuine one would be cheap..<BR>
anyway thanks for your help frank =]<BR>
<BR>
Wilson

I've checked with Nissan today and the guy told me that the original seal is no loner available, but they have a replacement seal instead however, he said to change the seal I'll have to change the pulley and the pulley is available only in Europe...
The price for the replacement front seal is $19.53 and the rear is $69..

I think I'll just get the seals from you nick.

Wilson

CMF_Rudy

» CMF Member
$16 4 rear seal from s/cheap, I got the $69 seal from nissan and waited 2 weeks to come from japan, had my car off the road with a wet clutch, dont i feel stupid now. I wish I had found this site a long time ago. I also have bought 2 lots of drive shaft seals (changed noisy gearbox) and 2 engine mounts from a speed shop and paid way to much and had to wait weeks for them as well. I still need a gearbox mount which they could not supply. You know the old saying "A fool and their money are soon parted"

Back