Oil Leak problems

macwillis

Ex. Club Member
i have an oil leak and dont know where its coming from, its not a big one just a few drops here and there.
changing the oil filter and oil made no difference, its not leaking form the filter or from the drainage nut.

any other usual places it could leak from?
there seems to be alot of oil on up the left hand side ( looking from the back of the car) of the oil tank.

http://img.skitch.com/20090502-tqha6f51nnfaj7crsg27ttjqgk.jpg

pictures shows there the oil is dripping from but i dont think thats where the leak is.

could be the driveshaft seals that slot in to the g box or the sump leaking
from that picture it looks more like gbox oil more than engine but it matters when it been serviced
have you noticed the engine oil going down???

engine oil doesnt seem to be going down
ive wiped off as much oil as i can and ill see if it returns in a few days or so.

cant say ive noticed the smell.

20090502-k7es4mfntptcdf7xxupatxiysj.jpg

looks like it may be gearbox oil (if im viewing the pic correctly)...and if it is, it may be coming from the input shaft oil seal. (gearbox off and a rebuild or swap -- a rebuild to replace the oil seal isnt too hard, despite what the haynes says.)

OR

it maybe the crank flywheel oil seal...(slightly easier to sort out, though still a gearbox off jobby)

Theres a little gap in the cover plate (between the gearbox and engine), if the oils coming from there then its even more likely to be one of the above.

your best to give it a good jetwash, then check it after a low speed run really (before you start stripping anything :eek: )

Mine seems to be doing the exact same thing.....

Don't have the facilities to drop the gearbox out so I've just replaced the gearbox oil for now. I'll have to keep an eye on it though.

if its gearbox, you can run it like that for a very long time...i would use about a 1/2 a bottle of gear oil every two or three days...when it got really bad...i also started getting massive clutch slip but it still drove...albeit very slowly lol.

when it went completely, there was a constant stream of oil out of the box. :D

So a few drips isnt a massive issue for now :)

See mine has not been leaking nearly that badly (that's if it is the gearbox).....only a drip every now and again. I replaced the oil as I thought it was low, but it really wasnt.

havent noticed any clutch slip or anything like that.

i wiped clean the area where the oil was yesterday, and thismorning the oil was back. so think ill have to get a mechanic look at it.

wish i had been told the car leaked oil before i bought it, ####ing #### at the garage must of known, he is a #### anyways. wouldnt touch the place again load of cowboys passed the car for a MOT when he shouldnt have.

Back