Tools for the job

Well getting to really get into cars now and am building a small collection of tools for working on the car with.

At the moment I have:

40 pc Socket at ratchet set, with 34" and 1/4" ratchet and sockets.
Spark plug sockets
Assorted Spanner set

And that it! Will be investing in a torque wrench but some seem really expensive and some real cheap. You can pick up one for about £20 would these be any good?

Also would you guys recommend jacking ramps or stands? just seems ramps would be easier to use...

Cheers

lol tools r expensive! im building my collection now but added an air compressor + impact wrench then had to get soem proper impact sockets so i dont break my normal ones the ramps things u need flat ground to use but i say r easier but whats wrong with a jack n axle stands? :p
i went for a cheap £20 like 5nm-25nm(i think) torque wrench(4 small engine things) others (ie draper) were all about 70+ which imo is too much for something i aint using that often
but one thing tho sounds like ur missing some spanners get swan neck ones i prefer the ring to the open mouth ones but the rings can b hassle putting on some nuts so get both :p i find most common thing 4 the micra r 10/12/15/17
also u never said if u got a breaker bar u need one of those :p

OK so Axle stands, I presume these go under the axles then? :p so basically jack the car up and pu tthe stands uner ... sounds easy

Breaker bar, had to google that! whats the difference with that to a wrench.

breaker bar- generally has no Ratchet mechanics to give extra strength and usually very long...

Ive used mine for suspension changing mostly

Alot of people find them usefull, I dont have any and have never needed them! Normal grips can be usefull though, which I do use sometimes.

Ed said:
Alot of people find them usefull, I dont have any and have never needed them! Normal grips can be usefull though, which I do use sometimes.

i bent the handles on my grips, so invested in some moley moley moleys but they live at work at the mo :/

They should never be needed on a car tbh if you have the right tools for the job..

Ed said:
They should never be needed on a car tbh if you have the right tools for the job..

i use em for things like grinding and welding,,bending stuff to used em alot for the engine conversion

also good on rusty stuff that needs to be forced off and doesnt matter if you break whatever it is

Right nice one. Well have got some mole grips already, got all the basics of tools but not for mechanics. Just need to invest in a torque wrench now and a decent spanner set. Used my new ratchet socket set to replace my rear offside light cluster today. Well chuffed with the outcome! feels good knowing I've saved some pennies doing it myself. A nice job if i say so myself :grinning:.

ratchet is good for small things but with some of those bolts ur gonna find if ur playing with under the car they r gonna break ur ratchet dont try hence the breaker bar :p

they rip u off for fitting easy stuff halfords want like 3.99 for head light bulb fitting which takes 2 secs! lol prob cost 30 quid for rear cluster which is 3 bolts

Ed said:

All well and good if the previous owner(s) did too, I've found mine invaluable! They can also act as a third hand :) Cheap torque wrenches should be as good as more expensive ones, think mine was a tenner 5 years ago :) Big hammer and crowbar also have their uses if like me you lack a certain finesse at times ;) For years I used a wheel and some wood under the sill instead of axle stands too, depends how much money you want to spend.

Favourite "unnecessary" tool has to be the 1/4 drive screwdriver handle extension bar I got from Halfords for a couple of quid, seem to use it on everything!

Back