Tomei Cams :(

CMF_crumpets

» CMF Member
The scumbags have halted all manufacturing until March-May, from then the price has doubled but everything else remains the same.

Starting price of 90000 yen... Worst! (Bout 1500 to aus)

Fark knows what i am going to do now

first of all. lol @ you for not getting them earlier.
2. get them from anyother company. they'll still be more then waiting for the tomei's, but if your in that much of a rush then... mullholland and aspect do cams. get em of aspect and go for 256in 264ex... might as well seeing as they do the 264's. greenline can get em in for you, or mates in japan obviously.

CMF_frank2

» CMF Member
turbo march-rolling shell WROTE:

"first of all. lol @ you for not getting them earlier.<BR>
2. get them from anyother company. they'll still be more then waiting for the tomei's, but if your in that much of a rush then... mullholland and aspect do cams. get em of aspect and go for 256in 264ex... might as well seeing as they do the 264's. greenline can get em in for you, or mates in japan obviously.

turbo

whats the theory behind fitting a longer duration exh cam, if you dont mind me asking ?
(i went the other way)

frank

yeh imo it works alot better. all the big boys in japan do that.. and pretty much everyone else i know.. whats the point of getting more air into the engine then you can get out? having a smaller exhaust cam is just gonna restrict power

CMF_frank2

» CMF Member
turbo march-rolling shell WROTE:

"yeh imo it works alot better. all the big boys in japan do that.. and pretty much everyone else i know.. whats the point of getting more air into the engine then you can get out? having a smaller exhaust cam is just gonna restrict power

i catch your drift, but a log manifold turbo can give an impressive output tho eh (your setup probably less peaky than my 2 stroke-esque powerband)

CMF_ronin_kid

» CMF Member
as i understood it most cars run marginally oversized exhaust valves as standard, so running slightly longer duration intake cams would make sense...

would make an interesting dyno comparison tho...

CMF_sportsclassic

» CMF Member
ronin_kid WROTE:

"as i understood it most cars run marginally oversized exhaust valves as standard, so running slightly longer duration intake cams would make sense...<BR><BR>would make an interesting dyno comparison tho...

Most exhaust valves are the same size as inlet valves in multi-valve engines

everyone else that runs slightly bigger exhaust cams can't be wrong. yeh a log manifold can work good etc. alot of things can work good. but properly thought out stuff works even better.

ronin_kid WROTE:

"as i understood it most cars run marginally oversized exhaust valves as standard, so running slightly longer duration intake cams would make sense...<BR><BR>would make an interesting dyno comparison tho...

yeh that's true in some cases. but you'll also notice that most of those, and everyother performance type engine also run slightly larger exhaust cam factory too. you've kinda answered your own question their... if the factory engine runs bigger everything on the exhaust side... why would you put a bigger intake cam in then the exhaust cam. what fred said, no point pumping heaps of air into it without being able to get it out.. i thought it was the more air you can get in and out of your engine the more power it makes... not the more air you get into it and the less you can make come out the more power it makes lol

CMF_frank2

» CMF Member
i,m just going by my experience with those piper cams, i could feel a difference when i fitted the inlet cam (and drove it for a week) but felt no difference when i fitted the exhaust one, not very scientific without a dyno, i know.
but i,ve only got a modded stock exhaust manifold and a ga16 t/b, so it may have different needs eh

CMF_SSUK

» CMF Member
You can get very similarly spec'd cams over here from Matt Humphris, which are 254deg in/ex, which work very well on the CG13 engines.

From experience on various cam specs, it's best not to go for too much duration, lack of compression for one soon becomes a problem, unless you're considering an all out race/rally setup.

CMF_frank2

» CMF Member
SSUK WROTE:.<BR><BR>
From experience on various cam specs, it's best not to go for too much duration, lack of compression for one soon becomes a problem, unless you're considering an all out race/rally setup.

dont you just lose compression at low rpm, then get it back, "and more" at higher revs ?

CMF_crumpets

» CMF Member
Ahh the issue was not the halt in manufacturing it was doubling of the price for the same product haha

I would of got em for 800ish but not for 1500-1600ish

CMF_sportsclassic

» CMF Member
crumpets WROTE:

"Ahh the issue was not the halt in manufacturing it was doubling of the price for the same product haha<BR><BR>I would of got em for 800ish but not for 1500-1600ish

You might aswell get the Humphris NME cams 264degrees or the 273 cams, you can get them for less than a thousand landed in Aus.

CMF_MicGreen

» CMF Member
kind of off topic, but what kind of power gains are expected with Tomei Poncams? does anyone have these on his/her car? for example, my Micra is producing about 60kW@wheel with custom-made headers and exhaust and k&n induction kit. I've been thinking of purchasing tomei Poncams and get the ECU re-mapped, so what kind power gains I can expect?

Are Poncams straight fit, so I don't have to do anything else than take old camshafts out and put Poncams in, and that's it?

yours, Lari

Back