Hello from Japan

cisco

» CMF Member
Hi guys,

I am in Japan at present. Just on the outskirts of Kyoto tonight up on the edge of a green/hilly area, about 20-30 minutes further out of town from Gion district (Geisha girl capital).

Just a super quick update regarding the micra scene over here. We haven't been to Tokyo yet, but will be there tomorrow.. However, I haven't seen anywhere near as many K11s this time as last time.. I spotted 1 old BOLERO silver micra with all the trimmings, but that's it so far. K12s are fairly common now and even they are starting to look slightly old-ish. We saw a Tommy Kaira K12 and a NISMO K12. Plus many normal K12s.

I am becoming more interested in the tiny K class cars, they seem to be catching my eye a lot more this time. I saw one ralliart colt so far the same as my colt back home in Aus.

My current favourite new K car would be the Honda DIVA. We saw this lovely bright yellow one with bronze racing rims, looks around 15-17" (Looks large on that tiny car), and it just looked beautiful. Saw an e-4wd K12 march and an e-4wd Nissan Tiida. That seems to be reasonably common.

Spent some time in Osaka this trip, never been there before.. Just reminded me a fair bit of Tokyo, but we only stayed in the main city area and didn't get around too much.

We still stay for 7 days in Tokyo and then after that play it by ear in the final 2 weeks. Maybe just decide to set up base in Tokyo and really pretend that we almost live there for that 3 week run.. Or we may decide to go far up North, E.g. Sapporo or far west e.g. Fukuoka. It would be good to see some of the more diverse/distant places.

Most of the people are excellent. People really appreciate you doing simple kind things e.g. letting them in or opening a door for them, unlike at home. Its not just a euphoria, the manners and respect are definitely in another league to what you get in return in Australia.

We are loving the food and how affordable everything is at the moment with the strong aussie dollar. Have been giving the vending machines a work out and trying to try and see as many new things as possible.

Getting a bit hungry now, so we are about to get ready and go out eating and drinking for the night, probably near or in the Gion district or somewhere just out of town from there.

I have picked up some more Japanese words, but its still frustrating how little I know. Always trying to learn more, but it takes time. We found the best teppenyaki bar in Osaka and we learnt heaps of food names and ordered all this crazy mix of stuff and it was just bloody beautiful.

There are a stupendous amount of awesome gadgets also. Some of the model cars and remote control things and fake model guns and radio controlled aeroplanes/helicopters are out of this world.

They have some AUTECH K12 Nissan March large size (about a foot long) full detailed model, it looks UNREAL - a couple of hundred bucks.

I don't have a camera at this stage, will be buying one tomorrow in Akihabara/Tokyo, but if I spot anything really cool in terms of cars or Micras, I will upload it here..

Later.

cisco

» CMF Member
Saw a mega funky cabriolet KH11 today all hotted and tidied up.. Very funky.. Took a picture.. Will upload on my return.

CMF_Family Hack

» CMF Member
Enjoy Cisco, enjoy all those sights, sounds, smells, tastes and just submerge youself in a different culture.
Are you getting that feeling that you are somehow detached from the rest of the world and Austrlia is like on another planet ?

cisco

» CMF Member
Heh apologies re: the random pics bug. There are just some badly named files still sitting on the server that I need to delete, they somehow appeared there with filenames numbered too large, bigger than the current maximum messageid of the forum messages. But its been a pain to delete them, I have to setup access and fart around to fix it.. One day..

Hey Mipcar, I will keep an eye out, but I have noticed that K11 stuff is virtually non existant over here now. You could probably spend a day or a week ringing around (if you have someone who can speak fluently) and chasing up parts, but it would involve travel to specific locations to suss it out or using a courier etc. Even K12s are starting to look slightly old over here now. Well not old, but they don't look brand new any more. There are so many cars that look sparkling new and shiny like the Colt's kind of era, with mega crystal lights etc. K12s kinda look dated now. And Australia is just going to start getting them at the end of this year. That's right, farm out the slops to Australia, the bogans out there don't want small cars, they won't even know that the car is 5 years old. Bah! I think we are so lucky to even be offered the Ralliart Colt brand new in the same exact year that it was released in Japan. I.e. We can buy a Ralliart Colt brand new no later than the first Japanese customers could, perhaps a month or two, but hardly anything at all. Brilliant work from Mitsubishi.

Yeah Hack, feels like another world and that Australia is another world. Definitely miles behind in so many areas compared to hear. But I am sure both countries could learn things from one another, its not just one way. But in terms of customer service, respect, efficiency and intelligent living, they have it nailed compared to Australia. Some of the things I have seen on this trip are just ridiculously good and amusing. It is another world.

Got some nice pics of a nice clean IGNIS here today. We are out in Ureshino, Saga, Fukuoka, Kyushu right now. Far out west, not far from Korea/China etc. More of a regional, rural place. Still amazingly cool cars even right out this way so far from Kyoto and Osaka. Turbo K everything everywhere. Ahh its just an overload.

If you love cars and technology, you've gotta come here. Its a country where if you work hard and want to contribute to society and doing the right thing, the country rewards you with hard work and respect back in return. The place runs smoothly and has the infrastructure for you to be able to get your work done in the best way possible, eat as cheaply as possible, blah blah blah. I think if you had the right setup in some little town on the outskirts of Tokyo, close enough to catch a quick train into Tokyo in 5-15 minutes, but also just out of the big smoke enough to relax escape the flat out hustle bustle, then I think you would have a pretty good setup. Even the quiet towns here have ultra convenience. The restaurants even out here in the sticks surrounded by rice paddies are open here until 4am and all the bars serve meals. Not this work 9-5pm in Australia crap and all the shops also happen to shut at 5pm, so by the time you finish work, you can't buy anything. That is just so stupid and if I operated a shop/business in Australia, I would deliberately make my hours outside of normal 9-5 hours because I realise that the majority of people can't get to your shop to buy anything if you are only open the same hours that they work in their typical office jobs. STUPID!

cisco

» CMF Member
Nah haven't been keeping a blog sorry guys. Been a bit of a random trip this time, less planned, haven't been to many internet connections.

I used to update japanblog.aaconsult.com.au but haven't touched it this trip yet. I might write a couple of basic things there though soon.

later.

CMF_blake83

» CMF Member
hey dude whats going on iv just read that you are here in japan well thats great.some questions
do yu have a fone yet? is it a "softbank"
are you doin any work?
when do you go back?
as iv been living here in YOKKAICHI, MIE (near SUZUKA the city and the track)i can speak quite a bit of nihongo, can read some basic katakana and hiragana and have a japanese girlfriend plus other friends who are great translaters so if you need some help or if u would like to meet up give me a call 090 1785 2898 or my fone email is [email protected]

CMF_blake83

» CMF Member
also there is a massive custom car show in suzuka on june 3rd its a sunday.
If your not sure where suzuka its 30km west of NAGOYA CITY in AICHI

cisco

» CMF Member
yo blake - howdy!

thanks for the info mate.

In Fukuoka for the moment just for 4 days, then jumping on a Nozomi (hope its a 500 series) back to Tokyo for 6 days, then 1 day back in Osaka before flying back to Oz.

Nah no work or anything just a holiday trip.

I know hiragana/katakana but kanji is a dead end for me mate. Trying frantically to learn the common ones as a start. Coming here tells me just how little I can speak, only the basic survival "sushi Japanese" basically. I can ask critical questions, but when hearing their answers I can usually pickup one in 5 or 10 of the words they come back to me with.. But I notice that just by being here you definitely pick up a few words every day. Living here must be awesome for you, must be such a top way to learn.

Re: car show, damn that is the day I fly home, or actually the day before I think. Bummer dude. Thanks heaps for the info regardless.

Enjoy.

CMF_blake83

» CMF Member
no worries just sorry i didnt know you were comin over teaching english to adluts everyday is kinda bad for learning japanese. but im in the habbit of getting the kids i teach to teach me(why not)

i think you have been to more places in japan then me!!!

but just 1 think and i dont want this to sound bad for all u dreamers out there but if u have been in japan for as long as me 15months now it gets real old real quick and the things that seem so great when u first arrive become very....sh#thouse. for example the fake people and crazy customer service.

CMF_Family Hack

» CMF Member
Good to hear from you Cisco. Interesting read for sure.
Talking about customer service, shop hours over hear in W.A. still no Sunday trading apart from corner stores. How stupid is that? Even in Vietnam shops open and shut whenever they like which means everyday 18 hours a day. Buy a beer from any store and drink it wherever you like night or day.A communist country but is more liberal in a lot of things than our over regualted country.
Customer service we are years behind the times but then if you have ever been to England you would think Australia was No.1

cisco

» CMF Member
Yeah that sounds pretty accurate.

I have tried to take heaps more notice this time of the reality. There is a very seedy/dirty side to Japan also. Like so many say, its not the pure traditional land of samurai swords and geisha girls like all the travel promotions paint it to be..

Customer service though, overall - excellent. Most places you go to, they can't do enough for you. But I have still had ordinary customer service experiences in a couple of places, mostly just the odd grump, but we are all human, so you have to expect it.

Well blake, I've visited a fair few places over about 2 months total of travel time, which is nice to see a good overall picture and some variety, but still doesn't accurately let you appreciate the day to life reality like what you are doing, that would be cool. But I'm still keen to come back and check more places off my list. Want to spend some time right up in the far North, in the cold season and maybe see some more places on the outskirts of Tokyo, maybe go to Mount Aso in Kyushu and maybe check out Shikoku just for something really different, but I would like for my Japanese to improve a lot before venturing out that far regional.. I noticed a big enough difference just in going out to Kyushu.. Its not as easy as speaking with local Tokyo Japanese people.. In Tokyo there is katakana and fragmented English everywhere.. which makes it a lot easier.

I think I am quickly seeing what you are talking about Blake. I have noticed plenty of artificial/fake fronts now and in reality, everyone is just human and it kind of reminds me about lots of things about home in some ways also. Also makes me appreciate some things about home that I always take for granted. This has been a really good trip in terms of the value for trying to consider living here.. Its not as perfect and fairy tale is my head painted it from my first trip. Its still a bloody fantastic place, highly recommended holiday by me and I still want to always come back here and learn more about the place, but now I am really starting to appreciate some things about home..

I said this at the end of my last trip two years ago also: Maybe the best of both worlds is to come here for a few weeks every year and scoop up all the goods, gadgets and car parts.. Then take it all home and use it in our laid back, free and clean/fresh aussie lifestyle.

CMF_NissTrust

» CMF Member
not that i have ever been to Japan, but i've been to many other strange and farout places and i think what you are touching on Cisco is something that is recognisable when you venture away from home (Australia) there is a great sense of appriciation of what we have here, but having said that, life is about learning and challenging ones self to go beyond the status quo and whats comfortable in life. Many Aussies are happy to live here in their comfort zone with familiar friends and people, having never challenged themselves to see another culture and experiance another world.... and i could imagine that in Japan, no place is perfect but none the less your there getting a feel for living there.. if its what you want to do for a few years definately do it!

CMF_Family Hack

» CMF Member
Well said NissTrust.After you have lived overseas you really appreciate Australia. All countries have their good /bad points. I find some overseas customs hard to swallow even if it is part of their tradition. Any custom that discriminates against others based on sex, religion, race etc I can never accept nor the Japanses eating whales for example. No matter what reasons they put forward in killing whales they are totally wrong and I do not care if it has been their custom for 1000 years.Still it was once said to me trying to fully understand other countries customs/ thought processes is like a circle with many rings. You can get so far into the inner rings but you never ever get to the core.Guess thats what makes living in other countries so fascinating. Yes not for everyone but if you have the urge to do so go for it. That way you will never die wondering and I feel it makes you a more worldly wiser person.
Cisco its a big move and its a clash between your heart and head but never let your head totally dominate.
Anyway if you go you and I will not be far apart.You can come to Vietnam and I can visit you!! Maybe thats enough to put you off going.

cisco

» CMF Member
Bahah, no close to Vietnam etc is awesome! That would definitely be great.

Yeah never let your head rule 100% is good advice also.

Japan is a fantastic place, impresses me every day when I walk out the front of the hotel. I think the true benefit of living here would be coming back to Aus later and being fluent and knowing all that language so well. That would be the true advantage as well as the life experience you picked up along the way.

Yeah we saw a complete whale shop as well as an entire page dedicated to whale options at a restaurant. Also saw Horse sushi this time too, never seen that before! Eek. I didn't eat any of those, but I've eaten some extremely weird stuff during this trip.

Agree that life is about putting yourself out there. At the same time that you miss the things you liked about home, I know that when I go back there, it quickly becomes boring/same again.

cisco

» CMF Member
Kashiwa san!

There was a problem/slow with email - It is unfortunate. I wanted to have lunch again with you!

Tonight is last night in Tokyo.
Tomorrow morning shinkansen to Osaka.
Tomorrow night stay in Osaka.
Saturday night, catch plane home from Kansai Airport.
Its not much time remaining.
Today, I went to Chiba.
I am sorry for bad timing. I blame email now. What a shame. :(

cisco

» CMF Member
Yesterday I found a small HK11 police car model. A plastic toy funny little world kind of set with a car carrying truck with an EVO7 on the back of it, some witches hats and a fence. Yeah I got it ;) Bahaha.

Starting to get a bit sad from leaving in just 2 days time now :(

CMF_kashiwa

» CMF Member
I cannot go to Osaka.
I'm sorry.

I wanted to meet.

About an E-mail, many other contents came and did not watch it.
I'm sorry.

Back