Timing Chain

Anto Modded

Ex. Club Member
How noisey should it be. i have a 96 1.0l an it is noisey when started then go's out of it after a while. I got it checked and they say its perfect. Is there any way of quiet-ing it down. My mates 99 one is a bit noisey but not as much

The timing chain on the k11 can be noisey. I'd recommend regular oil changes (car mech monthly mag recommends every 4.5k while nissan recommend 9k) Also you mates will be quieter as it's not worn as much.

I believe you can change the timing chain if it's stupidly noisey but to be honest I'd recommend a few regular oil changes and keep an eye on it.

IF it goes away when warm all is still OK.

James is going to be left on the side of the road with some munched valves oneday.

150,000 miles!

Yom said:
IF it goes away when warm all is still OK.

James is going to be left on the side of the road with some munched valves oneday.

My green micra's done 150,000 miles! The chain isn't that noisy, it's been looked after though!
I'm selling it with 12months MOT for £500 ;) Facelift!

Edit: That's £500 not $500 :glance:

Regular oil changes are the key to look after your timing chain. and don't use crappy oil.

theres nearly 90k on the car. And it does go when it warms up

Then it's just the common issue with the micra and you shouldn't have a problem. :D :D :D

is it entirely necessary to take the engine out to replace the thiming chains
or can it be done while the engine is still in?

I've been informed it can be done with the engine in but i find this hard to believe. I know you would need to remove at least one engine mount to access the cover.

The kits from nissan only cost about £100ish but it's the labour that kills ur bank balance.

ollie240585 said:
Just wait until you meet James, yours will seem like a silent operation compared 2 his!!!
Definately, its probably the noisiest camchain i've ever heard, its sounds like a diesel lol. :laugh:

Hi! First post here.

Sorry for hijacking the thread but I thought my question(s) would fit here since they have to do with timing chain, or so I've been told...

Here's my problem:

I was driving my 1995 1.0L Micra the other day when it broke down on me. I felt a snap on the accelerator pedal after which there was no response. So I let the car came to a stop.

Now when I try to start it, it makes the usual noises but it won't start. I had a guy look at it. He removed the oil filler cap and the timing chain (if it is the one you see through that opening) doesn't move at all when trying to start the car. So the guy said in about 5 seconds that the timing chain was broken. Could anyone please confirm this from the details I've given? Is it possible to tell that the timing chain is broken just by doing what the guy did? Can it be something else?

The thing is that a few days later the guy offered to buy it for parts.....

I'm in Ireland by the way. The offer was 150 euro (approx. £100). The body of the car has 2 small bumps and few minor scratches. It's a very basic 3 door Micra but it drove nicely before it broke down. All 4 tyres are OK and I got a brand new one a few weeks ago. Shouldn't I be getting more than 150euro/£100??

Thanks a lot for your help!

ive just bought the timing chain kit from nissan it includes the 2 chains and tensioners etc that are needed. it cost £80 supplied
i asked how much fitting would be and they said £400

i think i will be fitting it myself lol
the haynes manual shows you how to do it, and says it can be done without removing the engine from the bay.

Back