timing chain replacement !!???

CMF_UFO-K11

» CMF Member
Hello again - Can someone fill me in on the low down of when to change the timing chains ? Took my car to the local nissan guys who said it seemed fine - but im not sure - it seems a bit noisey / rattly when i firsrt start it - but does quieten down as the oil gets about and seems fine once its warmed up - is this normal ? - its done 145,000 klms - some advice from you guys who know whats what would be great - cheers Malcolm.

CMF_rocket

» CMF Member
Buddy I am sure that the timing chain will be ok, if there is a contant noise all the time, or a metal to metal sound even when warm then I would look at replacement, but I am sure you will find that most of micra owners on this site have done more them 145k.. and you just get a bit of a rattle till oil comes up as I do with mine and many others i should think.

CMF_White Knight

» CMF Member
If it does not rattle when when warm its okay.
A lot of Micras develope a timing chain rattle when engine is cold but as stated if you cannot hear it once engine warm you are okay.
If it rattles when fully warm replace before you destroy top end of your motor.

CMF_Grincheuse

» CMF Member
Hi everyone..
My Micra does rattle quite loud for 3 to 4 seconds when i start it up with the a cold engine. The sound is quite unusual.... I was thinking about having my timing chain changed as my car already 185 000 km on the counter and I don't know if its previous owner has ever changed it.
Do many of you proud micra owners have the same noise when starting up??

CMF_MyZBU

» CMF Member
My Micra had a rattle as it started that didn't quite go away.
Then it SNAPPED!
At least 8 valves bent. Not all of the chain could be found - I'm sure there was more damage (missing bits of chain are not often kind) but at that point the engine was written off.
I've replaced the engine with one that has done 153,000 and now hear a different rattle. One that goes away after a few seconds.
The Micra does have a characteristic rattle on startup. If it doesn't go away have your chain (and associated hydaulic tensioners) looked at.

Back