Timing Chain?

Chrisxn

Ex. Club Member
Right, recently I've noticed my car making a kinda clattery noise in the low revs. its not overly loud, but its noticeable! Is it the timing chain? and if it is, how much is it to replace?

I think with all these problems, its gettin silly keeping the micra You know when you feel like you're throwin money at it?
:down:

Alfonze

Ex. Club Member
I had that problem, but it turned out to be the heat shield that was loose and was removed not sweet as a badger, mines done 87k miles.

OP
OP
C

Chrisxn

Ex. Club Member
Nah, I don think its the heatshield.. Its a bit too deep of a sound.. I imagine heatshield would be more... i dunno.. You know when you're chain ballses up on your bike? lol! Its that kinda sound :)

Also, quick question while Im here,

1998 prefacelift.. What are the sidelight bulbs I need? Im lookin at some LED W5W bulbs. Are they right?

ollie240585

Ex. Club Member
Keep the servicing regular and you'll have no problems with the timing chain.

Most K11s have some kind of chain rattle, It's not really a problem.

OP
OP
C

Chrisxn

Ex. Club Member
Dewgel, if the engine dies on me, Im comin after you for jinxing me!!

Ill check the heatshields, but I dont think its that.... I'd imagine that'd rattle more if I was sitting on bite (that being when the gearstick shakes most, I'd assume everything else would too!)

Humm.. lol!

Dewgel

Buy & Sell Member
Dewgel, if the engine dies on me, Im comin after you for jinxing me!!

Ill check the heatshields, but I dont think its that.... I'd imagine that'd rattle more if I was sitting on bite (that being when the gearstick shakes most, I'd assume everything else would too!)

Humm.. lol!

It'll last forever mate.

It's cheaper to just get a newer engine with lower mileage dropped in than to faf on changing the chain to be honest, but just keep that enigne till it just does nothing at all.

Like everything, get the most out of it :p

frank

Club Member
if you only change the top chain, you have to hacksaw the protrusion off, (the one that stops the idler and chains from dropping down if you take the head off), btw

Really, hhhhmmm oh yeah i remember now! Long prybar and a hammer, 1 min!

Although advise no ones else to do it, not sure why since it worked perfectly fine for me but there are risks.

whipit

i hope you stuffed some rag in first, to catch the shrapnel ? :grinning:

I know i developed some form of method although don't quite remember what it was. Did this when fitting the 1.3 cams into a 1.0....(the next owner recently blew the gear box lol).

frank

Club Member
i found that sawing most of the way through (with the rag in) was best, then it snaps like a carrot (held in some pliers)

OP
OP
C

Chrisxn

Ex. Club Member
Sorry for the late reply, I havent been on the interweb in a while :S

Thing is, I've never had an engine apart.. So I couldnt do it myself!! unless theres a guide or something!

Ill just keep it goin.. If worst comes to worst I'll prolly break it. Most of its in good nick! PLus theres a reconditioned gearbox thats only done a couple k miles.

We'll see how it goes :)

Sorry for the late reply, I havent been on the interweb in a while :S

Thing is, I've never had an engine apart.. So I couldnt do it myself!! unless theres a guide or something!

Ill just keep it goin.. If worst comes to worst I'll prolly break it. Most of its in good nick! PLus theres a reconditioned gearbox thats only done a couple k miles.

We'll see how it goes :)

as said though most of this thread, its ok it just makes that noise. Nothing to worry about, you will find that it may snap somewhere around the 150k miles mark.

esha

Ex. Club Member
you will find that it may snap somewhere around the 150k miles mark.[/QUOTE]

Oh god i think i may have to get mine looked at then, im on 155k now! But its not makin a lot of noise at the moment to be fair!

frank

Club Member
you will find that it may snap somewhere around the 150k miles mark.

Oh god i think i may have to get mine looked at then, im on 155k now! But its not makin a lot of noise at the moment to be fair![/QUOTE]

it depends how the car has been driven/maintained, my old super s top one was shot at 100k (but it had had a hard life tho :glance:)

I did my daughter's rattly chain at about 50K.

I changed both chains, tensioners, guides and idler wheel. I re-used the original crank wheel and cam wheels.

I formed the opinion the trouble was caused by hooked teeth on the idler wheel for the upper chain. I reckon I could've quietened it enough to sell by just changing the top tensioner. The chains looked to be hardly worn at all. The only noticeable wear was on the said idler and top tensioner.

I haven't a clue what it's servicing regime (or more likely lack of) was before we bought it. The engine was warm when we saw it - I know better now!

esha

Ex. Club Member
To repeat what was said at the beggining of the thread, dont think that the rattle your hearing is definately the chain, cos for a few weeks now ive been hearing what i thought was the chain becoming VERY loose, and yes its turned out to be the heatshield on my front pipe! And I fit exhausts for a living so I should recognize that sound! Hey ho means i can keep the wallet in my pocket for a while longer!