Timing chain for K10 1988 (F)

Charlotte001

Ex. Club Member
Hi me again.

Where is the best place to buy a new Timing chain or belt for the K10 1.0? When it arrives I'm going to replace it with a new one, ok it's only got 38,000 on the clock which is genuine. 19 years old it's about time for a new one as there is no record of it being replaced in recent years. Provided it needs one of course; How long does a timing chain last ?

Will any motor store stock them ie Wilco/Halfords/A1 ?

Thanks Charlotte

roughly lasts around 60,000mile each but you are wise to replace th old one.

You can pick one up from most motor factors for around £35...ish
butlabour is likely to be 2 hours (1 if you're lucky)....that reminds me mine is comming up too

Timing Chain

halfords sell them. You need a belt not chain. :)

That's good news, hate changing Chains. 60,000miles so I doubt it's ever had one changed even though it's 19 years old. I got it off an old couple so they might have loved it like a baby. I'll get one and replace it too. Is there a gasket on the cover plate? or does this come with the belt.

The 2 Hours is nothing I can do that between rebuilding the V6 Volvo engine in the garage.

Charlotte

You'll get it under 1hr with some practice. I wouldn't even dare drive it if you suspect that its really 19 years old. They will break (I have personally had this) and when they do its game over. The cover plate has a gasket but its only a dust cover and so you can reuse the original.

Volvo?

mmmm sounds nice...V6?

Sounds even nicer....OK, heres the plan...

When youve finished the V6 crowbar it into the K10..jobs a good un?

What do you say??
;-)

Attempt at topic recovery...

.....then you can repeat the excercise of doing a timing chain/belt swap on the transplanted K10 and compare the diffrernce in time taken to change the timing chain/belt with that of the MA K10...

If I can do it in in a leisurely 2 hours (along with a service) then I bet most can do it within an hour!

Make sure you get the right length one though, there are two different lengths depending on year.

If anyone needs the shorter one for the earlier engines, give me a shout- I have a new in box ADL blueprint one, which I bought in error- I needed the longer later one.

Timing belt

If I can do it in in a leisurely 2 hours (along with a service) then I bet most can do it within an hour!

Make sure you get the right length one though, there are two different lengths depending on year.

If anyone needs the shorter one for the earlier engines, give me a shout- I have a new in box ADL blueprint one, which I bought in error- I needed the longer later one.

can you let me know how much you'd want for the belt? The K10 I'm collecting is a 1988 version (not sure if this is early or late) I'm rebuilding it for someone. Thanks

Charlotte

Charlotte, do you have a snapshot of your micra?

May be you could post it in the "pictures of members' K10s"

I think 1998 was about the time of the major facelift so you could have either I guess

Just looked it up. Thats what it says in the Haynes, so myself and x thousand other people will think its 60000 aswell

or 5 years

Also, the owners manual by nissan says its every three years, not five

dear god all the incorrect information flying around is amazing, on all the nissan service sheets its says all cambelts 5yrs or 54k miles, same as a 300zx as they are around the same periodish

reason behind the 54k 5yrs is so it lands on a service (the big one 54k)

Timing Belt

When I take delivary of the car I will post a picture so you can tell me it I need the earlier or later belt.

So if it's 54k on mileage or 5 years the one I'm rebuilding needs to be done badly (provided it hasn't already been done)

Charlotte

EEEK!

Don't shoot the messenger(s)

OK, the difference between 54k & 60k is 10%

wether this is a critical difference could be up for debate?...not that I can be bothered....lol

IMO a single belt 'COULD' last 100k with carebut the RISK is huge..... so changing at 50k to 60k safeguard can hardly be criticised??

What do U reccon?

Attachments

• 100_3585.jpg
    100_3585.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 286
re-build? i've got a 1.2 K10 (1989) top of the range, timing belt was fitted about 18months ago on it's 40Kmile engine.

can you let me know how much you'd want for the belt? The K10 I'm collecting is a 1988 version (not sure if this is early or late) I'm rebuilding it for someone. Thanks

Charlotte

Hi Charlotte,

If it turns out its the shorter one you need £12 will see it to your door.

Let me know :)

Timing Belt

re-build? i've got a 1.2 K10 (1989) top of the range, timing belt was fitted about 18months ago on it's 40Kmile engine.
40k ? that's not many miles in 18 months. I'm rebuilding this for a client it's not mine it won't do the miles I do The volvo can, I've only had the thing since april last year added another 100k on it so a micra will not do the job.

Charlotte

Back