timing belt k10

can any one talk me thru changing the timing belt and also tuning the carb as the idle is all over the place . its like the throttle is sticking, it revs high, then if you blip the pedal i t comes down to normal but slowly revs back up and its drinking petrol like a demon. there is also screeching sound coming from the engine ,i thot it was the fan belt and so i took it off to see if the noise dissapeared but it was'nt. i seems to be coming from under the timing belt cover. to me it sounds like a dry bearing maybe on the tensioner or water pump. so can anyone help please? oh yeah car is 1992 1.0 k10.

Sounds like it could do with a different carb...

Timing belt is quite a big job if you have no experience

Basically you need to take off the driver's side engine mount, timing cover, rocker cover etc
Get a haynes manual as i explains pretty good in there...

Regarding the Carb revving: I had a similar problem ie high revs but in my case it wouldn't stop revving so a new bottom and middle gasket was replaced and this has sorted it. it was found that coolant was mixing with the Fuel and Air mixture hence making it rev. I made up a couple of Gaskets from a cereal packet but tbo the Gaskets need to be the proper ones.

There is a supplier of Gaskets for the K10 on Ebay.

What happens if you disconnect the 2 Block connectors, does it still rev up?

Sounds like it could do with a different carb...

Timing belt is quite a big job if you have no experience

Basically you need to take off the driver's side engine mount, timing cover, rocker cover etc
Get a haynes manual as i explains pretty good in there...
i done the timing belt on my audi a4 tdi and that was pretty involved so the spanner side of things doesn't bother me. i just want a heads up on how to do it or is there any tips on how to do it especially tensioning the tensioner.

Regarding the Carb revving: I had a similar problem ie high revs but in my case it wouldn't stop revving so a new bottom and middle gasket was replaced and this has sorted it. it was found that coolant was mixing with the Fuel and Air mixture hence making it rev. I made up a couple of Gaskets from a cereal packet but tbo the Gaskets need to be the proper ones.

There is a supplier of Gaskets for the K10 on Ebay.

What happens if you disconnect the 2 Block connectors, does it still rev up?
this is gonna sound a bit blond but what 2 block connectors ? i cant remember seeing any! :laugh:

there as 2 electrical connectors going onto the carb, 1 for idle jobbie and 1 for something else possibly autochoke?

can any one talk me thru changing the timing belt and also tuning the carb as the idle is all over the place . its like the throttle is sticking, it revs high, then if you blip the pedal i t comes down to normal but slowly revs back up and its drinking petrol like a demon. there is also screeching sound coming from the engine ,i thot it was the fan belt and so i took it off to see if the noise dissapeared but it was'nt. i seems to be coming from under the timing belt cover. to me it sounds like a dry bearing maybe on the tensioner or water pump. so can anyone help please? oh yeah car is 1992 1.0 k10.
ok as far as i can make out its the autochoke was sticking on.. so i disconnected the ######. any hoo the black wire that goes into the back of the choke gizmo, where the coiled spring is , shud there be 12v at that wire with the ignition on?

eggbert, i believe that wire runs from the alternator, so that it is not powered until the engine starts (ie, if you left the ignition on for 5 mins, the choke stays shut until you fire the engine up) :)

eggbert, i believe that wire runs from the alternator, so that it is not powered until the engine starts (ie, if you left the ignition on for 5 mins, the choke stays shut until you fire the engine up) :)
ok didnt know that.i was checking it ignition on engine off.i'll give that a shot 2 moro.thank's frank.

thats what mine had anyway, (there was an extra terminal on the alternator) :)
o h yeah while we're on the subject there is a small wire broken off what looks like a capacitor on the alternator and when i'm driving there is a clicking noise which is faster or slower according to engine speeds. it seems to be coming from directly in front of me but its hard to pinpoint it exactly. any ideas?

Back