Time to say hello.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone, thought it was time to introduce myself (after lurking around the forum for a week). I have just bought a Micra K11 as a second car, just to use to get to and from work and nipping to Tesco etc.

I have been into Jap cars for nearly 6 years now, my other car (which is sorn off the road at the mo while I do some bits and bobs on during the winter) is a Mazda while the wife drives a Honda. So we are both well into Jap cars big style.

I choose the Micra because 1 it's jap, 2 the reliability factor and 3 I luv the look of them. Also gotta admire the running costs as well. For a small car it seems to have lots of interior space, with nice big windows allround.

The car has covered just over 77,000 miles and came with a fair bit of history, but the last owner said they had never changed the cambelt and I can find no record of it in the history. So I would like to change this as soon as poss, first question is is this a hard job to do. I have changed a few cambelts over the years but you always seem to come up against something new on different cars. And is there a tech guide anywhere that I can use for guidance, all advice gladly excepted. I can pretty much do all the other basics like plugs, oil etc.

I have only been driving the car for a week but I have noticed the engine runs very cool, I realise it's been cold this week but could there be a problem?, or is it just a trait for the Micra?. I will change the thermostat at the same time I service the car, again is this an easy job or should I look out for any problems?.

Just 1 more question is there any places you people recomend for parts new or second hand?. The reason I ask is I need a few minor bits of interior/exterior trim etc to get it looking tidy again. Only things like wheel trims etc. On the subject of wheels as I can never seem to resist the temptation to mod what are the most popular sizes for alloy's and just how big can you go with out rubbing issues etc. Sorry that was another question.:doh:

Thanks for reading my long intrduction and I will keep reading this well organised forum for info etc. Best regards Leigh.

Hi, welcome to the MSC.

Don't know much bout changing the cambelt, never done it myself. Guessing the best place for info would be a trusty Haynes manual. As for the temp, my K11 normally sits halfway up the guage after being warmed up and driven for around 10 mins (up to 15/20 in the cold). Whereabouts on the dial is the needle sitting? Also, for the wheels, again not certain but I think 15" is the most popular size, along with springs. Fairly sure that is the highest you can go without rubbing, although 16" with no lowering may be possible. I'm sure I will soon be corrected :)

but the last owner said they had never changed the cambelt and I can find no record of it in the history. So I would like to change this as soon as poss, first question is is this a hard job to do. I have changed a few cambelts over the years but you always seem to come up against something new on different cars.

hello and welcome,
the micra has a chain instead of a belt and will on average last around 200,000 miles.
rattle on start-up is quite a common thing with the chain and should stop after running for a few seconds and since you havent mentioned a rattle im guessing yours should be ok.
mind you at 77000 miles the engines still bedding in lol

Hello and welcome, my K11 has done almost 100,000 miles on its original chain, it's only just starting to rattle a bit, but thats probably just down to needing an oil change.

hello mate and welcome to the club good to see another micra owner in my area u are welcome to come to the southern meet in southampton on 10th of march go to southern meets section where u will find all details.

Welcome !!:grinning:
Finally another member from southampton !!! Ive got a blue k12 for the time being so look out for me

Wow thanks for all the nice replies people, looks like you lot are nice and friendly. It's cheered me up no end knowing that the Micra is chain driven rather than belt. Takes all the worry out of it snapping on me one day, Not sure if I can post any pictures yet as the car needs abit of tidying up first. Just a few bits and pieces to get it looking good again.

I will try and check out the southern meet as well, again not sure if my car is gunna be as good as all the other Micra's out there. But it will be interesting to see other examples, and see what can be done in the modding department.

Managed to change all the plugs filters and oil on Sunday, the car is running sweet now. When I first start the car from cold it still doesnt want to idle correctly but soon sorts it self out as it warms up. Is there something wrong with my auto choke?, or is this a commen trait with the Micra's?. Would like to see if I can overcome this problem if possible. Maybe if I change the leads and dizzy cap as well this may help.

Will keep a look out for all Micra's old and new in my area, so look out for an idiot flashing and waving (flashing my lights that is) many thanks again ..........cheers Leigh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back