Computer Issue OR Throttle Body replacement.... help?

CMF_AAA19V

» CMF Member
Hey Guys,

I just sold my Micra recently to the in laws. I had NO trouble what so ever with it the whole time I had it. It has low kms (under 90K) and has never missed a beat. Anyway, the inlaws drove it home from Sydney to Port Macquarie and the thing went perfectly and they rung us up and told us they were so happy with the car and it went perfect etc etc...

So yeah - THEN the thing starts playing up. Stalling because of low revs. Running really rich like it's got a manual choke and it's pulled right out and the motor is flooding. SO... my father in law goes and gets a complete log book service (major one) and gets plugs and leads done, full tune up and lube... everything cleaned out. The mechanic then drove the thing and it was still doing what it was pre-service. The mechanic then told my father in law to take the car to Nissan to diagnose the problem (even though no engine/sensor warning lights were lighting up on the dash). Nissan told the in laws that they would have to send the car to an Auto-Electrician so they arranged this for him. After having the car for 3 days, they finally ring him and tell him that they have narrowed it down to either computer problem requiring full replacement of the computer OR a small part to do with the throttle which can't be replaced without replacing the entire throttle body. One quote given to my father in law JUST for parts was computer = $1,900.... Throttle Body = $1,050.... I know this is genuine parts cost but the trouble is... if he buys one and it isn't that one, the auto electrician or mechanic will not give him a refund if he gets the wrong part. Has anyone had this problem before? OR does anyone have or know of a source for these parts that is reasonable in price?

Can you please email me at [email protected] (business hours Mon to Fri) or [email protected] (all other times). I will appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks guys =)

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
Search and ye shall find. This is the ever so common throttle body problem.

Find the throttle body resoldering guide in the tech section and get it printed out and hand it to the auto electrician.

This should cost no more than $200 to rectify. Would be very unlucky if it turns out to be the afm's hotwire to be what has failed (in which case it cant be repaired).

Back