The beasts engine conversion hmm choices...

Which engine would be the best...

• March ST engine MA09ERT(sp) (1.0l turbo supercharged)

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • GA16/CG16 (1.6)

Votes: 15 60.0%
  • SR20DE (2.0)

Votes: 7 28.0%

• Total voters

micra man

Golf GTi Turbo
Well I know I said that the bodywork would be the last of the work carried out on the car for a while and it probably will be for a few months, but hopefully this year I will be doing a paid work placement year which will leave a little spare cash for an engine coversion to just finish the car off nicely hehe. :) Now I have given this some thought and its between 3 engines.

Its either import a March ST engine from somewhere, should be easy enough to fit and plenty of power, from a very impressive little engine and fairly tuneable. Downsides are it will probably be expensive importing it and there is no guarentee of the engine's quiality.

Ga16/cg16 1.6 almera/primera engine, easy to get hold of for relatively cheap, newer engines but will take much more fitting. Although this will still keep the driveability.

sr20de 2.0 almera/primera, again pretty readily available but lots of custom parts needed and alot of fabrication. May also be too heavy and ruin the driveability which I don't wana do.

This at the moment is just the ideas stage lol, any input, ideas, information from people on here who know alot more than me would be greatly appreciated. Also more advantages and disadvantages to all engines would be useful. I think I am probably aiming for the end of the year for this to happen, so I don't miss any of this years shows, and also means I have some time to save up some cash. :) Anyway, much more information ideas required before anything happens... so give it to me!!! :D Also Amy, Ed how much would I be looking at to get a March ST engine imported and is there any guarentee of how the engine works?? Thanks all. :)

a cg13 would be different :)

on another note isn't the sr20 lighter than the ga16?? iirc. so ga16 will affect the handling more

so i'd go sr20 over ga16 (funds permitting) but to answer the question i rekon a ma09ert would be best suited, sc+turbo to completment the all the body work :)

GA16DET!

I was considering this when i was looking at engines and was given many good reasons for choosing this one

Erm... nah. :p

GA16DET, were these standard in any cars or are they just turbo'ed Ga16's?? :) Didn't know they existed lol. :p

IMO man - don't spend any more on it! You've spent rakes on the bodywork side of it - and thats hardly been event free has it?
If you change the engine in it - you'll spend alot doing it, and the problems you'll have after it will be huge, even more so since the engine wasn't made for the car etc. Plus you gotta think is it going to be your daily driver - insurance will jump through the roof......

If you go ahead with it - i'd say its a serious waste of Money. You've spent enough on it to get it looking good - so leave it!

Titch :kungfu:

the easiest one to fit out of all 3 is also the most expensive and hardest to get. Im with titch here really. But i would like to do a CG13 conversion.

i dont think its a waste of money at all....if thats what he wants to do,obv it is or he wouldnt have made the thread,
at the end of the day hes an enthusiast,some go further than others,its not for anyone to tell somone how to spend there money everyone is different.

and yes i noticed the IMO

RIK said:
its not for anyone to tell somone how to spend there money everyone is different.

and yes i noticed the IMO

Yes - thats what it is, is my opinion - not telling him what to do by any means!

GA16DE never ever came in a DET form.

If you want to do the GA conversion, don't bother with a UK motor. Import a Jap GA16DE with VTC on the intake cam (there's a little bump on the cam cover and head which holds the VTC gear).

Why bother? In NA form the VTC is worth an extra 15hp. 15hp the Jap GA16DE will always have over the UK spec GA16DE.

Note you'll need a japanese Lucino/Pulsar SR-V frontcut as you'll need the wiring loom and ECU to run the VTC.

The americans have been turbocharging GA16DE's for a few years now and they make some absolutely AWESOME power figures (in many cases they have been know to make more power per litre with less boost than an SR20DET!)

www.nissanforums.com and www.se-r.net have a bit of into on it. Mike K. is pretty much accepted as GA16DE god. :p

In saying that though, go with an MA series engine. But don't stick with 900cc, thats gay (except when your name is Ed). Bore and stroke the mofo. I want to see an MA12ERT this time next year. :p

I am considering all points, as I know that alot of engine conversions have gone tits up in the past so also opinions like Titch's are welcome. :)

cg13 would be best suited to the car as the larger engines will affect the handling and be harder to fit, you can get a a good 110bhp+ from a cg13 very cheaply and i think in a k10 you would have one very fast very light car ;)

the k10's best feature is its light weight dont go wacking a huge heavy engine in ;)

as for the st engine you need the then entire loom, uprate the front brakes etc it would make much more sense to import one and strip it for parts but it would a be a terrable waste of an ST

I'm not too fussed about it been super fast i just want something to make it respectable to match the look of the bodywork. I guess that something like a tuned cg13 would be ideal for what I am after. :) How easy are they to fit?? As far as I know no-one has ever done it before so it would all be new, although I know a few people have reserached it. Would the k11 brake conversion be enough for it??

Getting thin on the ground I voted GA16, but a CG13 would keep so many of the great things about the K10 and with a nice modern engine.

Ed

I say get the CG13 then you can get roughly 100brake with not too much fuss and with the potential to get ~200 boosted, also cheaper tax than the 1.6(?)

Is a CG13 the twin cam out of the K11? (sorry i'm pretty new to micra engine codes)

If so that is the one i'd pick, infact i was visualising a 1300 twink in there on bike throttle bodies when i swapped me cambelt a few weeks ago!

Out of the ones in the poll I voted for the 1600, as it wont weigh as much as an Sr20 and it will be cheaper, but less tuning parts. As for the S/T lump they surely gotta be as rare as hens teeth?

Yeah I'd have serious trouble finding an ST engine. Plus if I got one I would feel bad taking it from an ST lol. I should have put 1.3 in the poll but totally forgot about that. Yeah the cg13 is he twin cam from k11. :) Will have to look into this as hopefully it wouldn't raise my insurance too dramatically with that in and plenty of tuning potential. ;)

the k11 super s is group 5 IIRC the same as the k10 super s and the 1.0 k10 is group 4 so your insurance should be fine mate ;)

all you need to do to the CG is exhuast, intake, cams and a remap. Would easy take your 0-60 to under 8 seconds :)

if your gonna spend loads on a conversion go for a 2.0 16v. why mess about tuning the engine after spending a few grand getting it in there.

you dont wanna spend loads and then realise that the power doesnt satisfy you at the end of it.

I personally think that you should go for a newer engine..

not an ST or even one like mine, because of how rare parts r to come across!

The K10s MA series engines r getting rare too as many are getting crushed!

I'd go for the cg13de/maybe Turbo'd

if u did go ahead with the conversion,
whether you wanted it n/a or Turbo, just decide beforehand so u save time and Money!

Do it all one-time :)

Umar

i have a nice 2 litre turbo from 200sx in my garrage 60000 miles mite sell if i dont put it in my micra for ####s and giggles (bodge job)

Back