Temperature Gauge

hi
The temperature gauge on my micra is playing up the needle moves to normal temperature when sitting still but once I start driving it goes back to cold any ideas please

thanks will have a look at the weekend
Would it have any effect on fuel consumption I have a
1LT NISSAN MICRA INSPIRATION 16V 2000 when I stick £20 in I only get 100 miles is that good or is there something else wrong

thanks will have a look at the weekend
Would it have any effect on fuel consumption I have a
1LT NISSAN MICRA INSPIRATION 16V 2000 when I stick £20 in I only get 100 miles is that good or is there something else wrong
No that's not good (!)
Engine will be taking to long to warm up and would affect mpg a bit.
Sounds like you have a heavy right foot buddy, the 1 litre is not a fire breathing street racer, you need to ease up a bit and wait until you have some more horses under the bonnet ;)

No,no heavy foot here mate not had it long bought it for cheap town run around but not working out at the minute I'm no mechanic but can read a hanyes manual so will try anything just not sure where to start
Thanks for quick response

Hi mate, from my experience, replace the thermostat, which is a cheap quick fix, make sure you bleed the system as airlocks are common and have silicon gasket sealent available....also check the wire on the engine temp sensor on the right behind the dizzy. There is one for the guage (think its the top one from memory) which can become corroded so get rid of any corrosion on the connector on it....If you need to replace it they cost about £7. If nothing changes and your guage still goes to zilch, then its probably your gauge itself. Try giving it a mild tap on the back to nurse it back to life (not too heavy!) - if It springs back to normal temp its likely a dry solder joint - so either re-solder if you got the skills, or get yourself a new guage unit on ebay/scrappy. Those are the three common causes in my experience, all of which Ive replaced over the years.

Back