temp gauge all way down

Hi All, my k11 manual 1994...temp gauge stays full down, happend suddenly.have i touched anything which am not suppose to? now it remains down....poor knowldge in electrical

check the gauge & circuit wire is working by unplugging the single-terminal connector to the temp gauge sensor behind the distributor, shorting the wire to engine block as -ve ground whilst IGN is on and it should send full voltage to the gauge and make it flick up towards hot. if no response, gauge or wire is faulty.

next check the temp gauge sensor resistance range is within original spec.
https://www.micra.org.uk/threads/pollymobiles-rebuild.35251/page-119#post-704079

if sensor & gauge is within spec, next check the engine & coolant is actually heatin up to 82C.
during cold start warm up, gauge should be reading under 1/2 and thermostat fully closed so the radiator top/bottom hoses should be stone cold.
it's only once the coolants upto 82C and the gauge reads 1/2 way when the thermostat begins to open and send hot coolant to the rad and hoses get hot.
if hoses immediately begin to warm up whilst gauge reads cold, thermostat could be stuck open and wasting heat.

remove thermostat and test it fully opens when in boiling water pan and fully closed below 82C

HI,pollyp, have tried the grounding of single wire no response, next is tracing the wire if its OK as the micra was rewired by some dodgy tech who made things work somhow before me.

Back