All micra technical: 'CAM position sensor'

Dear all,

Subject:'CAM position sensor' (also refered to by some as a crank angle sensor <wierd?>...but I think this is a missleading name since the part that I'm interested in is mounted on the CAM SHAFT)...so I'm calling it a 'CAM position sensor' (sorry for terminology wars)...lol

I am a K11 / K12 rookie so forgive my ignorance but Im guessing these cars are both all ECU and maybe / hopefully electronic distribution. and even more hopefully: mechanically compatible!!

I am K10 but I'm in the middle of a feasibillity study for a project and I have the following querys.

1 Does either or both the K11 & K12 (or any other candidate) have and optical sensor on the cam shaft or 'where a distributer might normally be' (a disk with slots...not a disk with 'cogs')?

2 If so, is there a common interface so that the sensor, whole-module or even complete assembly can be fitted (ideally) or grafted (not ideally) onto a K10 MA series engine (for example at the cam shaft end, or on the end of a distributer rotor....)?

3 If so, what is the nature/details of the encoding rotor (pictures & description would be fab).

4 One more; if all are still a 'yes';.... is the encoding disc replaceable/ removable in order to fit up a custom encoder?

cheers all

here's a couple of pictures of the sort of thing that I'm rattling on about from other nissans for reference that I ripped from elsewhere

Rich

Attachments

• cam2.JPG
    cam2.JPG
    42 KB · Views: 860
  • cam.JPG
    cam.JPG
    38.3 KB · Views: 3,102
sammohung

ed,s your man on the opto/electric info, but the non coilpack cg,s use a cam sensor in the dizzy, and the coilpack,s use a crank sensor, and the k12,s use both (the cam sensor signals the vari-valve inlet cam).
i would think you could rig up a k10/k11 hybrid ignition system

sammohung

they,re usually centrifugal bob weights and springs, plus vacuum advance, why do you want to disable it, btw ?

sammohung

they,re usually centrifugal bob weights and springs, plus vacuum advance,

springs & weights sounds just as turd as my existing vacuum advance :-(

why do you want to disable it, btw ?

so that I can use a uC to determine the solutions for advance angle (and other stuff ) instead of a mechanical transfer function....-> my test bench will be an MA series engine ...so I need something that will fit :)

dunno if its dis-assemballkfhnedrklugbnrfhlk, (lol) but all i no is that its got the optical cam position sensor in there. might have one kickong around in the shed of spares ill have a look later on

springs & weights sounds just as turd as my existing vacuum advance :-(

so that I can use a uC to determine the solutions for advance angle (and other stuff ) instead of a mechanical transfer function....-> my test bench will be an MA series engine ...so I need something that will fit :)

I'm sure there's a cam angle sensor in the st dizzy with obvious no vacuum advance this any use,I have a spare

Get in!

either of those is sounding great so far....

If you can dig these out that would be ace...if any are suitable I'd be very greatfull.

let me know prices if its a goer

Chers again

Rich

Back