Tailored Dashboard Mat.

Hey, After my phone sliding off my dashboard for the millionth time I decided to cover the entire dash board top (only the recessed bit) with a non slip mat. Has anyone else done this? Do you still have the stencil?

I'm going to try later but I'll probably make a right pigs ear of it.

I used to bought chinese sticky mats before. I can get it from my friend but I don't like it though. The mat can go last for 1 and half months. My car always get dust quickly. If you clean your car every week then it might be longer than 1 and half months.

Dont hesitate to make your own, order the stuff (you can find it cheaper on ebay),
you'll need a piece of cardbox, then take measures of the dash, cut a pattern with an identical shape, cut the foam according to the cardbox pattern and then adjust it, it's really easy to do and you can make two out one piece of foam in case you miss your first attempt.

I actually did this in my k11 (a few years ago now :p)
...with that non-slip rubber stuff ^_^
...I did a rough stencil with newspaper
...then cut it more precisely
...cut the rubber mesh stuff out and checked shape/size
...trimmed the edges to perfection

did the same for my mums K12 more recently... (I'll get pictures in a jiffy;))
...I debated having it in 2 sections (as there is that lip to the right/centre of the dash)
but decided to snip the rubber mesh at that point so it was more secure, still being one piece, going around the raised bits ;)

I thought I'd have to slick it down with glue or double sided sticky but it wasn't needed at all ... either time :p

Here's a shot of my mums K12 dash....
DSC00377_zpsb643fdca.jpg

...and a close up ;)
DSC00378_zps8c2f184d.jpg

you can pick up rolls of this stuff at little cash and carry's and sometimes Lidl's or Aldi's too...or if needs must Halfords :p

ETA: that back edge, admittedly, isn't perfect...but I think we were rushing it a bit...just take your time and keep checking the fit...as you cut it ^_^

I actually still have a large piece of this stuff, it was in my K12's boot...although it had been perfectly cut to fit a K11 boot LOL
so now I have a genuine boot liner in the K12 I may finally be able to cut out a section for my dash too :p
...and perhaps my cup holders while I'm at it ;)

Im going to give it s go making a newspaper stencil tomorrow.
Remember to do it with the doors/windows shut...avoiding annoying breezes stealing the paper away LOL
...ETA: and take you time...if you cut it wrong...just try again...you can always sticky tape the paper together if your sheets not long/wide enough :p

Only downside of this method is the toxic smell of the foam. Better not know what its made off :eek: But after a few miles driving with open windows it's gone.

Only downside of this method is the toxic smell of the foam. Better not know what its made off :eek: But after a few miles driving with open windows it's gone.
Agreed ^_^ when this stuff is right outta the packet, it don't half wiff a bit LOL
luckily we had a stash of rolls in the house, that had been in the house for years, so the smell was long gone :p

Back