fixing a broken sunroof, tutorial.

Antony

Ex. Club Member
How To Fix Your K11 Sunroof

right then, after having my car for more than a month now i decided to fix my sunroof, as it always decided to lift and flap at about 115 or so...not good when chasing lesser cars, (usualy french)

anyway, after a trip to the scrappy i decided it would be a good idea to see how to take off a sunroof.....

TOOLS;
1, 10MM SPANNER OR SOCKET,
2, PHILLIPS SCREWDRIVER,
3, NEW SUNROOF FROM SCRAPPY, £10
THATS IT!

first thig to do is find a suitable replacement for my super S roof......bingo, a super s in the scrappy.... with the only things left the engine (rusted shut) and the interior...

ater srtrugling to get the door open i found that to take the roof lining out wasnt as big a job as i had thaught...winder handle, prise the black flap up and its just a philips screw.. sun visors.....interior handles..... two clips (one above the drivers door and one behind the rear view mirror) and the interior light fixing and start pulling......very carefully..... you can just about get away with bending the B pillar parts of the lining to get them arround the trim as they slip back down behind thie trim anyway,

so, after removing the roof lining from the car, (very carefully through the passenger door, dont worry it will fit....) you can take a look at the horrible paint job inside the roof.... eughk PINK:sick: :sick:

there are three mounting brackets (not ontop of the drivers door tho) for handles, these need to be taken off first, then the two brackets above them, all using 10mm bolts or nuts, (try to remember where these went, or your handles wont fit in again)

there are approximately 10 bolts holding the sunroof in to the K11 micra.....i had three left over after i had done mine....(oh well it dosnt leak or bang:wasntme: )

so you have your sunroof on your head, and its quite heavy, you need a mate for this bit, get him to hold it still while you unclip the light wires from the inside, then slide it out of the bootlid, vwala, alfresco micra......

and now comes the fun bit, fitting it all back together again.

again through the boot lid, slide the sunroof in place, get a mate to hold it and clip the wires back in place. then this is important, bolt the two middle brackets in first as these will take most of the weight.... the just bolt up all the remaining bolts....

now the roof lining (wich should have been cleaned with upholstery cleaner like mine was by my friends whilst i was wrestling with the spanners, should slide back through the passender door and knock all of the littlw screws from the handles and visors off the dash and onto the floor...:glare: :glare: and should fix back into place. again you can get away with bending the corners slightly as they will be fixed behind the trim.....

the door seals hold most of the weight of the liner before you bolt it in, so be sure to put them back on before you do anything else....like shut the door!!!!!o_O

screws and bolts later, check that your sunroof is level with your roof.....and alighn the handle inside...screw it down and have fun putting the sunroof appature trim back in, cos its a little biatch...

enjoy silent running...and a top speed about 7mph more than before...

ant_steelhead_19644842.jpg

ant_steelhead_19644857.jpg

ant_steelhead_19644869.jpg

Bah need more pics! :( The haynes doesnt talk about it.

But still good work for you being brave enough to go in there and attack it yourself. Sunroofs arent easy things to work with.

Also, if you have fitted it and think that it leaks, make sure that it is wound shut - had this problem myself lol

haha, thanks guys, i tried the sunroof about 20 mins after i finished by going through a carwash. no leaking........so all's well.

would have taken more pics but my phone died....lol:glare:

antony_aiken said:
haha, thanks guys, i tried the sunroof about 20 mins after i finished by going through a carwash. no leaking........so all's well.

would have taken more pics but my phone died....lol:glare:
well done!!!!

I did some more research and found that when reinstalling it you're meant to remove the glass from it. Then you're meant to put the glass back in and re-align it when it is all nice and solid.

Seems to make it easier anyway?

naaah, just more twiddling of screws...

if you make sure that both are aligned before taking them out, then just bolt them back in. mine aligned up perfectly......... must just be a flook...:suspect:

Back